Customikey's Toys of Wonder

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Customikey

Super Freak
Reaction score
Hello! Well, my thread was one of the ones lost on the old board, so this is a good chance to start over.
Here's my repainted Dracula to start. I'll have more pics soon. I was scared to do it, since the figure is so hard to get these days, but I'm happy with the results. I wanted him to look as much like the 1/4 version as possible.
draccompare9re.jpg

I've also opened an auction for my repainted London After Midnight. Take a look and tell me what you think!
repainted London After Midnight

very nice!
what kinds of paint/techniques do you use. (only askin cause im about to get into painting some customs myself and I only hope I can do work as good as yours)

Paint

occulum said:
very nice!
what kinds of paint/techniques do you use. (only askin cause im about to get into painting some customs myself and I only hope I can do work as good as yours)

Glad you like my stuff! I use acrylics. I spray white primer on the figure so the acrylic paint sticks better, than I do a thin coat a few shades darker than I want the figure to be. THen I usually do a thick wash with taupe or deep portrait pink (dpp). Once that's done, it'sa just layers of drybrushing lighter and lighter shades of the skin color til I'm happy.
For the eyes, I paint the sockets taupe or dpp, then paint half the eye white and half tan or off-white. I don't know why it works, but it does. Then a circle of a very dark shade of the eye color. Then another smaller circle of that color mixed with mostly white to get a very light shade. Then the black dot for the pupil.
Then spray lightly with clear matte varnish.
After that, I add clear gloss acrylic to eyes and lips.
Hair is done pretty much the same way. If it's slick hair, Like Drac's, I drybrush clear gloss acrylic on it to give it a sheen.

Simple New Nightmare eye re-paint

I got sick of New Nightmare Fred's doll eyes looking off to the side, so...
nnfred14xh.jpg

Now that looks a bit more like the prototype we went nuts for!

Some for sale

If anyone's interested, I'm putting my New Nightmare Freddy (seen above), William Shakespeare (scroll up!), and London After Midnight (not shown) customs up on eBay.

Just do a seller search for Customikey.

I know it seems like I'm using this board as advertising, but that is not my intent. I love showing my stuff to you, and I'll keep posting my stuff here whether I'm going to sell it or not. The thing is, I'm trying to fund a full-fledged Darth vader costume, and all I've got to go on is....toys.

So, enjoy the pics and ignore the auctions, if you so desire. Or covet my toys and bid. Help a guy realize his dream of standing in highly uncomfortable fiberglass and leather for the amusment of co-workers and little starry-eyed children!!!! :vader

I really like your William Shakespeare. A very unique, extremely well done figure! Love the quill and book accessory. It's these kinds of customs that appeal to me, because they're kind of outside the box for 12 inch figures, so to speak.

This figure reminds me of another famous author I would absolutely love to have in 12 inch figure form- Edgar Allan Poe.

Poe

You know it's funny. The second you said that, something clicked. Could probably repaint a General Custer head and add some Victorian clothes (Dark Shadows, maybe) and you'd get a pretty reasonable E.A. Poe. Just need to find a raven....

Poe with the Raven would be so cool. :)

I would love a Poe, especially since Poe is my favorite author, but I don't have the talent to make him myself. A Poe figure is on the top of my 1/6 scale figure wish list. The Raven would make a great accessory.

WOW ! Really impressive custom work Customikey . Somone forwarded me a link to your Shakespear a few days ago and I was (still am) floored .

Killer stuff !

I'm glad you liked Shakespeare. Even though I have to let him go, I'm proud of how well he did on eBay.
Since I've sold him, I feel safe in telling you what he's made of. Skip this if you don't want the illusion shattered.

The costume is Mask of the Red Death repainted with a Spinal Tap shirt underneath (The McKean character.)
The book is repainted from Kanamits "To Serve Man."
The quill is from a pigeon. I looked all over New York till I found one I liked, and cleaned the hell out of it. The feather, not the pigeon. Never met the pigeon. To my knowledge.
Finally, the head is (appropriately?) Palisades' Mr. Brown (Quentin Tarantino) with sculpied features. The earring is a metal hoop that was in my kit 'o random toy stuff.
Mr. Brown came with two heads. I cut the ears off the other one and placed them on my Chancellor Palpatine sculpt. I'm a pretty good sculptor, but ears defeat me. I'm busy painting the Palpatine head. I'll post pics when it's done. Wish I could sew so I could make the costume from the Mace Windu fight...

Dooku

I put Count Dooku up on ebay, and he's doing really well! It's only been a day. Shocked, I am. Imagine if I had made him with a removable head and hands. Eeww.

Palpatine is almost painted up. The sculpts rough edges are really starting to show, but it's not bad for a first attempt. Pics soon.

Palpatine

I finished my Chancellor Palpatine sculpt. It's pretty rough, since I didn't chemically smooth the details, but it's a pretty fair first attempt, I think.
What do y'all think?
*deleted pics.* See further along for a new pic of Palpy.

Last edited:
Freddy Pics

These are the only other pics I have, since he's been packed up for shipping to the winning bidder. The previous winner dropped off the face of the earth, so I had to repost it.
https://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=6021532414

nnfred37qj.jpg

nnfred24ic.jpg

The only differences between my Freddy and SSC's original (besides the repainted eyes) is that I've put wire in the coat to make it a bit more dramatic and I've tucked his pants into his boots to match the source.

Glad you like him!

Back