Sean's 1/6 Wampa project

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SpaceCrawler

Super Freak
Reaction score
Well, following up on my articulated 1/6 Bantha (yeah I know, completed pictures are coming), I decided to do an articulated true to scale 1/6 Wampa.

The problem is that there were several different Wampas deigned for and used in Empire, and very few photos that showed any usable detail as far as head shape or other details were concerned. So some things I had to guess at. Obviously the first versions of the Wampa were pretty silly looking, with those cat ears and owl eyes and Frankenstein-like stride. Then there's the 2nd version of the Wampa that knocks Luke off his Taun Taun (which I think was created during post production in the 80s). Then there's the Special Edition Wampa, which is pretty close to the 2nd, minus the ears. I guess there are variations on the silly looking Wampa number one, as well. So I decided to do a sort of combination of all these- I like the long armed look of most of the Wampas and the head of the special edition. So that's sort of what I went for.

According to StarWars.com, a Wampa is 3 meters tall (9 feet) (wookieepedia says 2.5 meters). In 1/6 scale 3m/9ft is about 18 inches (or 45cm). One day while walking through the toy store (something I seem to do quite frequently) I came up with the idea of making a Wampa after seeing a larger format doll for girls called Best Friends Ink. These large dolls are about 18 inches tall and fully articulated. Online I found a male version of the doll, ordered it for $23 delivered, and started my project.

After removing the large head and attaching my Wampa sculpt the final height will be around 17 inches when standing up straight.

The BFI dolls have full articulation but it's not a Hot Toys body. But it's good enough. Though I did have to tighten up a few joints with Krazy glue.

I planned to sculpt the hands, feet and head. The lingering challenge was to find decent fake fur. After some searching and sending away for samples I found something that will work well.

Below are a few pictures that will show scale and the beginning of the project. After a couple of weeks now, I'm quite far along, just don't have the latest pictures in my Photobucket yet, but I'll get everything up soon. I'm working on putting the fur on now and finalizing the head attachment.

Here is the basic figure next to Obi Wan to show scale.

DSC_1565.jpg

In this picture I have cut the arms apart to elongate them.

DSC_1567.jpg

More photos coming...

Sean

3 please................:monkey3

looks like you have your plan laid out well.........so good luck bro.

& yea, pics, pics, pics..............especially that bantha....:lecture

Ahh man that is so so so cool!!!! This is gonna be brilliant man.....

Hey did you ever post pics of the finished Bantha???

A few more pictures.

Here's the body getting shaped with foam:

DSC_1578.jpg

And here's the head being sculpted. The only things you really see on the head are nose, teeth, eyeballs, and a little area around the eyes, so I had to guess what might be under there. Again, it isn't 100% accurate to the film versions because I'm not that good and because there were too many different Wampas made for the film:

DSC_1576.jpg

Dorgs,
I haven't taken final photos of the Bantha yet. I wanted to take them in a desert-like setting but believe it or not they aren't as easy to find here in Los Angeles as you'd think. I guess my table top will have to suffice.

Sean

Hahahha well the table top will be just fine I think. As for the Wampa owww screen accuracy is never mega important I feel. It's the vibe you are trying to get and man that sculpt has gooood vibes :)

Wow, that sculpt looks fantastic, Spacecrawler! I can't wait to see this guy all finished up. (When I go away, and pop back up again in another 3 months...)

Back