Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice (March 24th, 2016)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: Batman vs. Superman (2016)

He has charisma and is comfortable in front of a camera, but he has always been and always will be Will Smith. IMO, he's never once become the character he's playing. He's done plenty of things I've enjoyed, but he's not an actor as much as he is himself trying to fake out the other people on the set with him.

But to keep it on topic, Batman must surely spend most of his bat-budget on baby powder to be in that suit. I hope that's going to be a big factor in the movie. It intrigues me.

I need to remember this. this is EXACTY how I see Jack Nicholson.

Yeah, I think there are lots of actors like that, and while it suggests they may not be Lon Chaney, it still doesn't mean they aren't very good actors, and actors with range. Take Nicholson. If you watch Chinatown, Five Easy Pieces, Cuckoo's Nest, the Shining, Batman, and As Good As It Gets, you're getting similar performances in some way, but you also see the entire gamut of human emotion done very convincingly--triumph, despair, psychosis, joy, anger, frustration, boredom, confusion, understanding, etc. And it's all done in a way that makes perfect sense for the character. I think Leo Dicaprio, Tom Hanks (minus maybe the one role he had as the guy in the airport), Tom Cruise, Jimmy Stewart, Humphrey Bogart, Henry Fonda, John Wayne, Lee Marvin, Toshiro Mifune, Paul Newman, hell, the vast majority of major actors fit into this category. The rare exceptions are guys like Gary Oldman, Robert Deniro (early on of course, before he became a caricature of himself) and Daniel Day-Lewis, who frequently transform themselves into completely new entities for films. I would add Christian Bale to the last list. But I don't discount a guy's abilities just because he sticks to variations on a core theme.

Yeah, I think there are lots of actors like that, and while it suggests they may not be Lon Chaney, it still doesn't mean they aren't very good actors, and actors with range. Take Nicholson. If you watch Chinatown, Five Easy Pieces, Cuckoo's Nest, the Shining, Batman, and As Good As It Gets, you're getting similar performances in some way, but you also see the entire gamut of human emotion done very convincingly--triumph, despair, psychosis, joy, anger, frustration, boredom, confusion, understanding, etc. And it's all done in a way that makes perfect sense for the character. I think Leo Dicaprio, Tom Hanks (minus maybe the one role he had as the guy in the airport), Tom Cruise, Jimmy Stewart, Humphrey Bogart, Henry Fonda, John Wayne, Lee Marvin, Toshiro Mifune, Paul Newman, hell, the vast majority of major actors fit into this category. The rare exceptions are guys like Gary Oldman, Robert Deniro (early on of course, before he became a caricature of himself) and Daniel Day-Lewis, who frequently transform themselves into completely new entities for films. I would add Christian Bale to the last list. But I don't discount a guy's abilities just because he sticks to variations on a core theme.

First this.

Talent-mark-hamill-26532743-450-560.jpg

second How about Bill Nighy as a transformative actor?

I think these are two great choices. Jeremy Irons makes a better Alfred to me than Michael Caine--he will be more dignified and polished and feel like a proper British butler rather than a cockney chimney sweep from Mary Poppins. I love Michael Caine in general, but Jeremy Irons will do a better job, in my opinion. His voice work in the Lion King is still some of the best ever in a Disney movie.

Eisenberg as Luthor is an interesting choice--you can't cast somebody physically imposing to introduce a threat to a laser beam shooting neck-snapper like Snyder's Superman, so you go for a more intelligent and sinister threat. He can't beat him in a fight, so he needs to engage in a battle of wits. Thinking about his performance in Social Network with a more villainous twist really sounds intriguing to me. I think that's a successful direction for a 21st century Luthor that will be believable on screen.

I didn't know Lex Luthor was a twitchy,insecure,hipster looking punk.
Eisenberg is a bad call to portray him.
Bravo Hollywood...bravo!

I guess I'll just call it now, & take a HT Bat-fleck figure out of all this.. that'll be my consolation for such a mishandled next installment. :lol

Holy ****ING ****. Jeremy Irons as Alfred is brilliant. Frankly, I like the Eisenberg casting, as well. He seems like he could be a young, egomaniacal genius with a hatred for some buff dude.

Aw, what happened with Cranston playing Luthor? Did they decide he was too perfect for the role?

Back