Dragon's 1/6 scale Astronauts

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hmm, looks like people have started to lose interest in this figure—and this thread—just when I got all excited and went out and bought one. :dunno

I've also been meaning to post in here. I've had the older 'Buzz Aldrin' version of this figure boxed up for a couple of years (had him on display for a while but boxed him up to shake up the display). Now I have this newer one as well and was able to get the astronaut "Buck" moon display base and flag for cheap off Ebay about 6 months ago, so I plan on displaying this newer 'Neil' figure with the older 'Buzz' figure on the 'Buck' display base...just haven't got around to it yet. :peace

Might be something I try this weekend...and if I do, I'll be sure to post pics here! :hi5:

I've also been meaning to post in here. I've had the older 'Buzz Aldrin' version of this figure boxed up for a couple of years (had him on display for a while but boxed him up to shake up the display). Now I have this newer one as well and was able to get the astronaut "Buck" moon display base and flag for cheap off Ebay about 6 months ago, so I plan on displaying this newer 'Neil' figure with the older 'Buzz' figure on the 'Buck' display base...just haven't got around to it yet. :peace

Might be something I try this weekend...and if I do, I'll be sure to post pics here! :hi5:

I've been wondering if that "Buck" flag display base would be offered on Ebay. Good catch! Seems like it'd be like looking for a needle in a hay stack to find that by itself, but I'll keep looking out for it.

Yeah, I think Dragon got some of this stuff wrong. The Electrical Umbilical Hose should be coming out of the right side of the control box, not the left.

I gotta tell you guys, this issue about this hose being on the wrong side is really starting to bug me. The more pics I see of real Apollo space suits the more stuff I see wrong with this figure; and stuff left out. Makes me crazy 'cause it wasn't like a $75 fig, you know?! :nono

I gotta tell you guys, this issue about this hose being on the wrong side is really starting to bug me. The more pics I see of real Apollo space suits the more stuff I see wrong with this figure; and stuff left out. Makes me crazy 'cause it wasn't like a $75 fig, you know?! :nono

It's almost as if Dragon has pulled a 'Hot Toys' by bringing out an older figure, making sod all changes to the costume, slapping an updated head sculpt on it, removing the base/flag diorama and charging a helluva lot more for it than the original.

The most disappointing aspect of the figure to me is the lower lip of the outer helmet. Where it meets the velcro-affixed collar is very clumsily done and changes the shape of the figure's 'face'. The helmet is arguably the most iconic component of the suit. It's a pity that Dragon didn't take this as an opportunity to update those parts of the original that fell short. But I've only seen pics of the older figures and don't own an original version... maybe this has been updated a lot more than I think, though it doesn't look like it.

It's almost as if Dragon has pulled a 'Hot Toys' by bringing out an older figure, making sod all changes to the costume, slapping an updated head sculpt on it, removing the base/flag diorama and charging a helluva lot more for it than the original.

The most disappointing aspect of the figure to me is the lower lip of the outer helmet. Where it meets the velcro-affixed collar is very clumsily done and changes the shape of the figure's 'face'.

Yes, almost makes the helmet look like part of a bio-hazard suit! (1st pic.) :thud:

Also, the boots look less than stellar with the faux straps molded in relief into the boot. But I think that's typical of Dragon.

And there are a lot of details that could have been easily made to look more like they should: like the grey plastic ends of the hoses that connect to the front torso. These should be color-keyed red or blue, or bright silver (I've seen them both ways) but not grey plastic.

Already mentioned was the flopped Electrical Umbilical Hose (3rd pic, dotted yellow line) which is a very important if not the most important visibly prominent feature/detail of the right flank of the space suit—as it would normally come around under the arm and go up all along the side of the back pack to attach to the upper section of it. (Amazingly this item appears to be placed correctly on the “Buck” figure [2nd pic]. Unfortunately, the other end of hose is just left hanging in the pic.)

* I wonder if it's possible to pull that hose through the other side of the chest pack if it's not tightly sewn/attached to the left side.... hmmm, I may have to give it a try...*

And less importantly there are a couple of additional smaller hoses that would have added much in the way of detail but were omitted, the most important probably being the one that from the right side of the oxygen purge system at the top of the back pack, over the right shoulder and connecting to the right side of the chest control pack 3rd pic, dotted blue line).

Last edited:
Already mentioned was the flopped Electrical Umbilical Hose (3rd pic, dotted yellow line) which is a very important if not the most important visibly prominent feature/detail of the right flank of the space suit—as it would normally come around under the arm and go up all along the side of the back pack to attach to the upper section of it. (Amazingly this item appears to be placed correctly on the “Buck” figure [2nd pic]. Unfortunately, the other end of hose is just left hanging in the pic.)

* I wonder if it's possible to pull that hose through the other side of the chest pack if it's not tightly sewn/attached to the left side.... hmmm, I may have to give it a try...*

Well, now I feel a little silly because this was super easy to fix! That hose coming out of the left side of the chest control pack can just as easily come out of the right side! You simply have to thread the loose end into the back of that chest pack and pull it out the right side. Voila! Then you just pull the end under the right arm and up the side of the back pack to tuck nicely into the upper section of the back pack under the pocket. Will post a pic when I can. It's an easy fix, but Dragon carelessly got the whole arrangement flip-flopped when packing these things. :cuckoo:

Last edited:
New pictures outside after painting two small changes on the combination! Modification of the golden visor, the edge was painted white with a touch pen for car

Then the purge valve was re amended (the rod where the little red ball has been changed, this rod is actually a hard plastic hair brush my mender) and painted red with a touch pen for car

Really looks nice. :clap

I like what you did with the visor.

The watch looks a little weird so high up on the arm, is that intentional?

Also, what does "a touch pen for car" mean? :confused:

Back