Dragon's 1/6 scale Astronauts

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey all, I'm a new member here and I've been reading through this thread and enjoying it for a few days prior to joining.

At 53 I'm probably longer in the tooth than most everyone here; if not all. I'm married, w/ 2 kids (teenagers! :thud:).

I remember on the exact day of my 11th birthday, July 20, 1969, watching the Apollo 11 mission on a big b/w TV in the auditorium of my elementary school. I don't remember details of what facet of the mission we were watching exactly, but I can probably figure it out with a bit of research, as it was morning west coast time. I remember everyone was making a big deal about what was going on on the tube, even though I was rather clueless at the time.

Anyway, ever since I guess I've always had a thing for the Apollo missions, and for that period in history during which a shining America was arguably at her peak--the glory days of the 60s through the early 70s.

Recently, after watching Apollo 18, I remembered that plastic model kit of the LM (Apollo 11?) that I had built and crudely painted in '69. The nostalgia juices began to flow--as they so often do to cause us to become collector nuts--and the next thing I knew I was scouring the net for a LM model.

It wasn't long before I came across this forum at the same time that I was ordering Dragon's 1/48 scale LM from Flying Mule, along with the 2011 Armstrong figure. I just received the package today, in fact, but haven't even opened it yet. It'll probably be the weekend before I can dive into the assembly; I'll have to have the tweezers handy from what I've been reading here. I appreciate all the reference help and tips you guys put forth here; I'll need it!

By the way, as some may be able to guess from my username, I'm also a big Star Trek fan of TOS (The Original Series, for you non-Trek folks).

Anyway, enough of my rambling. I just wanted to introduce myself. I hope you all keep posting here. I'll try to do the same and post pics once I have something worthy to show off.

Last edited:
I am proud to say that in the future ARH Studios has plans for producing smaller scaled statues, 1/6 size
Our goal is to have an astronaut statue for sale.

Please take a look at what we do now, you can see we have some heros in production already

https://www.arhstatues.com/

We will offer these products to Sideshow for sale so you can buy them directly from Sideshow or Diamond comics

Thanks!

ARH Alex

Hey all, I'm a new member here and I've been reading through this thread and enjoying it for a few days prior to joining.

At 53 I'm probably longer in the tooth than most everyone here; if not all. I remember on the exact day of my 11th birthday, July 20, 1969, watching the Apollo 11 mission on a big b/w TV in the auditorium of my elementary school. I don't remember details of what facet of the mission we were watching exactly, but I can probably figure it out with a bit of research, as it was morning west coast time. I remember everyone was making a big deal about what was going on on the tube, even though I was rather clueless at the time.

Anyway, ever since I guess I've always had a thing for the Apollo missions, and for that period in history during which a shining America was arguably at her peak--the glory days of the 60s through the early 70s.

Recently, after watching Apollo 18, I remembered that plastic model kit of the LM (Apollo 11?) that I had built and crudely painted in '69. The nostalgia juices began to flow--as they so often do to cause us to become collector nuts--and the next thing I knew I was scouring the net for a LM model.

It wasn't long before I came across this forum at the same time that I was ordering Dragon's 1/48 scale LM from Flying Mule, along with the 2011 Armstrong figure. I just received the package today, in fact, but haven't even opened it yet. It'll probably be the weekend before I can dive into the assembly; I'll have to have the tweezers handy from what I've been reading here. I appreciate all the reference help and tips you guys put forth here; I'll need it!

By the way, as some may be able to guess from my username, I'm also a big Star Trek fan of TOS (The Original Series, for you non-Trek folks).

Anyway, enough of my rambling. I just wanted to introduce myself. I hope you all keep posting here. I'll try to do the same and post pics once I have something worthy to show off.

Welcome to the forum NCC-1701 no bloody ABCorD!
:)

Pics are always welcomed. BTW, what is the price you purchased yours for?

Thanks for the prompt welcome, averone!

I paid the current price of $144.99 for Neil and $45.99 for the LM. Got free shipping.

Your welcome, so if we can produce a Neil statue in 1/6-1/5 for under $200.00, would you buy one? I am asking because I want to know if they will sell....
I know many who elect to collect these are older than the Marvel/Dc young guys :lecture

Your welcome, so if we can produce a Neil statue in 1/6-1/5 for under $200.00, would you buy one? I am asking because I want to know if they will sell....
I know many who elect to collect these are older than the Marvel/Dc young guys :lecture

Yeah, I don't collect comic book heroes. I did pay $200 each for a 1/6 scale (+/-) Star Trek Kirk and Spock statue from Hollywood Collectibles Group (HCG), though, so yeah, I think I would! All depends on the quality...

I just noticed your website... taking a peek...

Last edited:
I am proud to say that in the future ARH Studios has plans for producing smaller scaled statues, 1/6 size

Please take a look at what we do now, you can see we have some heros in production already

We will offer these products to Sideshow for sale so you can buy them directly from Sideshow or Diamond comics

Thanks!

ARH Alex

Wow! I am blown away! There are some talented sculptors here.

Among my favorite sculpts are Spartacus and Anubis. I like the more understated, natural looking physiques of these two. Particularly Maxence Fleuret's Spartacus, that's reminiscent of Michelangelo's David. Bravo!

I would love to see a Neil sculpture! (Perhaps on an elaborate "moon pedestal/diorama" with a flag?) Yeah, I'd buy that! :clap

Last edited:

At 53 I'm probably longer in the tooth than most everyone here; if not all. I'm married, w/ 2 kids (teenagers! :thud:).

I remember on the exact day of my 11th birthday, July 20, 1969, watching the Apollo 11 mission on a big b/w TV in the auditorium of my elementary school. I don't remember details of what facet of the mission we were watching exactly, but I can probably figure it out with a bit of research, as it was morning west coast time. I remember everyone was making a big deal about what was going on on the tube, even though I was rather clueless at the time.

Welcome NCC-1701! :duff

It's always cool to hear how people got into this hobby. :)

I would be curious to see how the 1/48 scale LM looks displayed with one of the 1/6 figures. Do you have any pics?

Welcome. Nice to see another oldster and no you're not the oldest here. I have four years on you and don't think I'm quite the oldest.
I have similar but probably clearer memories of Apollo 11. For me it's without doubt humankind's greatest scientific and technological achievement.

You'll find plenty of enormously talented folk here so make sure you check out the whole board. There's plenty of fascinating stuff to see.

Welcome. Nice to see another oldster and no you're not the oldest here. I have four years on you and don't think I'm quite the oldest.
I have similar but probably clearer memories of Apollo 11. For me it's without doubt humankind's greatest scientific and technological achievement.

You'll find plenty of enormously talented folk here so make sure you check out the whole board. There's plenty of fascinating stuff to see.

Thanks, tomk.

Indeed, in my mind the achievements of the Apollo missions--and that of Apollo 11 in particular--are unsurpassed in the history of mankind. Wish I had been a little older to have appreciated it more at the time.

Thanks!

ARH Alex

Alex, beautiful work! I particularly like the Spartacus and Anubis sculpts. I prefer their more understated, realistic look. Spartacus reminds me of Michelangelo's David. I would definitely consider a 1/6 or larger of Neil Armstrong (w/ a moon diorama base that included a flag?)!

Alex, beautiful work! I particularly like the Spartacus and Anubis sculpts. I prefer their more understated, realistic look. Spartacus reminds me of Michelangelo's David. I would definitely consider a 1/6 or larger of Neil Armstrong (w/ a moon diorama base that included a flag?)!

Yes, that would be so nice!
I sure hope so, someday

Awww, I thought this was already in the planning works. No?

We have plans for it in 1/6 but we are now involved with so many other projects. The 1/6 line of heros is still in the making, I like to have at least 5 of them ready to sell to people at one time. So far we have 3 ready to go into production

We have plans for it in 1/6 but we are now involved with so many other projects. The 1/6 line of heros is still in the making, I like to have at least 5 of them ready to sell to people at one time. So far we have 3 ready to go into production

Great! Any sneak peaks at the working prototype and or sketches? :pray:

Last edited:
LifeCover.jpg

Not even sure if that's Neil though...

Actually, that's Buzz in this most famous of photos, if that's what you meant—you can read his name tag on the Environmental Control Unit on his chest—and Neil took the pic.

Still haven't taken mine outta the box... and I have to decide what type of black field to place behind him (and the 1/48 scale Lunar Module). I have a lily-white Billy bookcase from IKEA with glass doors and shelves. :slap

Last edited:
I was originally gonna use an earthrise for a background, but as it turns out my limited space will not allow for it as of now.

These are my two favorite shots (pretty decent resolution as well):

earth-rise.jpg

apollo11_earthrise_1600x1200.jpg

I've only just assembled mine. Batty and Maglor it was made so much easier thanks to your pics and descriptive posts, thanks for that! Overall impressions is that, while I missed out on the earlier releases and have been waiting a while for this release, I don't think this figure does enough to warrant the pricetag - $145 (plus no free shipping to Oz, that's extra of course).

It's the little things:

*no assembly guide. Which is in keeping with Dragon's other figure releases. Dragon know that it's mostly military enthusiasts who collect their figures, so they have never seen reason to bother explaining to people what they likely already know. But in this case, how many people really know how a space suit fits together... and there is surprisingly little reference material available that shows the nitty gritty of the pack assembly.

* Another nitpick is the inclusion of a stock Dragon stand that isn't large enough to accommodate the space boots. What about some love for those collectors - most I'd say - who will be displaying their figure with the boots on?

* The helmet components are not well considered. The collar, as has been noted before, is a bit clumsy. But for all the bits not to snap together as they look like they should is my biggest gripe. A high-end figure price tag demands better tooling.

* The fabric covering the pack is a bit cheap looking. I don't really want to be seeing the cheap plasticky guts underneath the fabric.

*the clip on the chest box. Grey plastic. Come on...

I am glad I picked this up - it won't get any cheaper, with ebay prices already up since its release - but it doesn't quite sit comfortably with my other high-end collectibles. I think I'll come to love it more over time, but initially I can't help but be disappointed that prices are getting higher and higher for what are essentially mid-level figures, ie they're in a range that 6 months ago was where Hot Toys priced their basic figure sets.

Last edited:
All good points, Lejuan. It is frustrating that Dragon does nothing to remedy such issues prior to mass production, figuring astro-nuts like us will buy the figure at $150 a pop even though it is not an overly equipped, highly detailed, high-end figure. I don't know that they spend much time at all to correct flaws once they have gone to the point of actually making and assembling a prototype; and even I wonder if they go as far as to make a prototype with all the pieces and test them to see if they actually fit together. With their years of experience it is possible they just go straight to production without "pre-fitting" a prototype.

Last edited:
Back