HT Captain Dallas (mini review + pic)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey thanks everyone!

Below are some (not all) of the details. I hope I don’t forget anything vital.

I bought a tiny LED flashlight and removed the four batteries and the high intensity LED. From my tool box I added (2) 2-56 screws, (2) wire-wrap posts, and some 28 AWG wire-wrap wire, red for the positive side and black for the negative side of the battery assembly (four batteries stacked in series).

I also tested the LED to determine proper polarity (+ to red wire, - to black wire). Generally, the lead that attaches to the flag inside the LED is the cathode (-) but a battery test also works. I permanently attached the appropriate wires to the correct LED wires/leads.

I carefully drilled the bottom of the 1/6 scale flashlight to start making room for the LED. At one point, it was possible for me to slide the inner portion (that looks like a light bulb) out and remove the front clear portion of the 1/6 scale flashlight.

I made sure to test fit frequently to be sure I didn’t remove too much material. I drilled two additional holes on the sides of the 1/6 flashlight that would perfectly line up with the left gloved index finger and thumb.

I kept removing material until I could heat (blow dryer) the 1/6 scale flashlight and press the LED (with + and – attached wires) into the proper position.

I pushed the red and black wires through the two holes (+ for the location of the index finger and – for the thumb location).

I wrapped the red (stripped of course) around the 2-56 screw and applied a little solder. This was pressed back in the flashlight. I repeated the routine for the black and other side of the flashlight.

At this point, I had a little flashlight assembly that I could test with batteries and wire. Only after it was working perfectly, did I putty/repair/paint the 1/6 flashlight.

Next, the glove had to be modified. I heated the glove and held the index finger as straight as possible to drill a path for the red (+) wire. I repeated this for the thumb. I cut two new pieces of red and black wire and pushed each through the appropriate locations so that some wire is hanging out on both sides. I attached a wire-wrap post to the red side of the index finger and another to the thumb side. I applied a little solder and cut off the unnecessary length of post. I pressed the posts into the glove until it was almost flush.

On the opposite side of the glove (wrist area) I left about three inches of red and black wire. I attached the red to the positive (+) side of the small battery stack and the black wire to the negative (-). The battery assembly fits “up his sleeve”. The glove can now be attached to the figure.

Keep in mind I test frequently.

Finally, the 1/6 scale flashlight can be placed in the glove. The wire-wrap posts (in the glove) make electrical contact with the small 2-56 screw heads (in the flashlight) completing the circuit and lighting the LED. To turn off the flashlight, slightly move the flashlight such that the screw heads no longer touch the post in the glove.

I did leave out some details because I didn’t want to overwhelm you.

I hope you like the information.

Disclaimer:
I am not responsible for any unpleasant results. For example if you accidentally build a thermonuclear detonator, sorry but don’t blame me….:)

To Dallas or Kane owners out there. I have a problem.

The sleeve on the left hand side of the costume has come out. Has anyone else expereinced this? And if so what's the best way of fixing it?:confused:

I'm dreading attempting this after the three hours I spent getting the sodding backpack off to get the lights working and any advice would be really appreciated.

First off all, the Darkness Predator - amazing mod!! I think I need a nap after your instructions though! :lol I may try something like that down the road, but need to learn a bit more about working with LEDs before I do that.

Jmek, yes, that has happened to a few of us as well. I think if you twist the arm and push hard enough, you can get it back in, but I decided it wasn't worth it and can't even see that it has partially come out now.

Back