Ikea Granas Coffee Table become awesome Display Case

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks guys. Hard work and help from members got me up and running to get it finished. I still have two granas in the garage. I was toying of stackable set and maybe this time ill use acrylic panels instead of glass. Overall it looks classy and I somehow managed to add two sockets for USB docking station underneth the table for my phone and iPad. S it can charge as it sits on the coffee table.

OK guys found a LED shop and this guy set me rite. He said you can use the line connectors but they have problems with them, so he suggested zotaring it, so I gave him a little drawing with my measurements.
fabdffa1c04e5e13ba86b38b7dd1b028.jpg

Then he told me my power supply would burn out, and he was rite because that was the second one, he put my lights on a meter and got me a proper 6 amp power supply.

On my power corner he suggested a full circuit and added a new wire to complete the loop that way the light will stay uniform all the way around.
3647df04231e48e67f7f8af9d58ad8a4.jpg

This made a big difference for nice even lighting, you can see it when you plug it in and out from one end to the other.
be194164a1afb25a9e374799c2b52927.jpg

A little bit of tape and a couple small screws under the base board, drilled a hole in the bottom of the leg and fed the extension line thru the leg.
f51a31464342d1a2e70144fceea1c3be.jpg

OK guys found a LED shop and this guy set me rite. He said you can use the line connectors but they have problems with them, so he suggested zotaring it, so I gave him a little drawing with my measurements. Then he told me my power supply would burn out, and he was rite because that was the second one, he put my lights on a meter and got me a proper 6 amp power supply.
fbbe8789d82f251a193411cc25763680.jpg

funny. I didn't know what zotaring was so I googled it and it brought me back to this thread LOL
I assume it means directly soldered the wiring instead of using connectors?
What was the rating on the original power supply? Cause I didn't keep that set so I am not sure
Final product looks good. Great job!!. Is it bright enough in you opnion?

:acme"soldered" oops :rotfl yes lots of light, the old power adapter was 2 amp and cheap. The new one and the "soldering" work only cost me $40
683797214b013107c0595ff75dff7b8f.jpg

Can't believe they would include a power supply that would stand no chance of working for a prolonged period of time. Yeah double checked the rating is 1.2A per meter or 2A per colour totalling 6A.... such a dummy mistake especially since they would effectively have to keep sending you new ones every so often ;)

While I was there I got him to make 4 single LED lights 2-red 1-yellow 1-green, my plan is to incorporate them into the dash and the inside of the Tumbler
9316bd364f54f65dc77c33c78f5ea770.jpg

Actually you...we...all should look for a solution to AC power the tumbler and then switch it on/off outside the case. Cause ones it is inside its a PITA to get to it!!! I actually found a very short term solution still using batteries. It was a simple pair of wires with a twosided contact plate that came with a Tron pullback lightcycle toy for demo purpose when on display. You would insert it between the battery and one of the terminals and by default it would be open. Only when you press a temporary switch it closes and allows power to go through.

:borg "Resistance is Futile"

Keep us updated. I didn't have the patience to wait for my led set, but do you think he can or take commission on making those connectors for me? I plan on using it for a 2nd granas. =)

Keep us updated. I didn't have the patience to wait for my led set, but do you think he can or take commission on making those connectors for me? I plan on using it for a 2nd granas. =)

He has all my specs and it fit nice, I should ask him what the price would be for the whole set up power supply and all and he could mail it out to you freaks.

Hey guys just called him and asked about the whole set up he said for everything remote power RGB with a long tail to go threw the leg, just like mine $100 delivered in Canada, and whatever extra if you want to ship somewhere else. This guy is a PRO web site pay pal.

Back