Q&A with Howard Chan (Hot Toys) @ACGHHK by Mark Osr

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Glad I picked up the SWAT Gordon exclusive from last year if they aren't doing another version of him. Glad to hear about a Blake though. Hopefully Ra's gets approval soon as well.

I wouldn't buy it, but that doesn't mean a bunch of other people would. The Depp fans are just as rabid for this stuff as the Iron Can fans are, and, frankly, I'd gladly endorse the former. I have a great amount of disdain for IM fanboys, as the only reason this **** continues is because they put cash in Chan's pockets.

That's how business works.. if the 'rabid' Depp fans where actually putting the same amount of cash into product as IM fans, you would have your figures.. they are not, so you aren't.. 'endorsements' of licenses you are not buying, doesn't pay Hot Toys bills or fund development of new releases.

..and If all you were getting was figures of his Deppness, you would be equally vexed and disdainful of those fans. :lol

Just face the fact that Gordon in a suit, is a very, very, long way behind the sales projections of any IM suit.
..even Disco

What about the disdain towards batman fanboys? Also what about the cash batman puts in Mr. Chan's pockets? Obviously it's enough to warrant the release of multiple vehicles and several DX's.But then again this is an"open" hobby and people have the right to speak their minds.

If you put all of the iterations of Batman in film, television, and video games (the following are HT's forte) in one basket, you wouldn't have anywhere near 40 different versions.
-BB Batman (x3)
-BB Demon Batman & Scarecrow (x1)
-TDK Batman (x3)
-TDK Joker (x4)
-TDK Two-Face (x1)
-TDK Gordon (x1)
-TDKR Catwoman(x1)
-TDKR Bane (x1)
-TDK Batpod (x1)
-TDK Tumbler (x1)
-TDKR Tumbler (x1)
-TDKR The Bat (x1)
-TDKR Armory (x1)
-TDKR 1/4 scale Batman (x1)
-89 Batman (x1)
-89 Joker (x2)
-89 Batmobile (x1)
-66 Batman (x1)
-66 Robin (x1)
-66 Batmobile (x1)

That's 28 figures spread out over a TV Series/movie, and 4 other films from 3 separate interpretations, if you count Returns and Arkham, (which haven't even been shown yet, since they have been delayed due to the Iron Man bull****), that's 33.

There were over 40 IM figures on display at Ani-Com, and that isn't even counting the double dips and con exclusives, so don't even give me that bull****.

That's because there is actually more variation in the IM suits, than Man in black rubber armor.. double-edged sword is double-edged.

That's because there is actually more variation in the IM suits, than Man in black rubber armor.. double-edged sword is double-edged.

Really? What Iron Man dipped in gold? Iron Man painted up like an LA gangbangers car? Iron Man in Christmas colors? Iron Man in a different shade of gold? Iron Man in a different shade of bronze? Silver? Purple? Blue? What?

There's nothing double edged about the sword. There are plenty of other options that they could've done, and profited on, from the Batman films that they didn't (not that I'd want them to for a bunch of them), so the more variation argument is baloney.

Just to be clear, though, I was half joking when I said I have a great amount of disdain for IM fans. It annoys me a little bit, but I don't begrudge you guys for liking what you like. I just think some things are getting pretty excessive, though. Is a Pepper Potts figure really necessary?

Last edited:
Who says I wanted Gordon in a suit (I'd like to see it, but I doubt is buy it)? I want Arkham, and before you say something wouldn't be as successful, don't even go there. The fact of the matter is that you wouldn't know what the sales would be unless they actually took the time to make them. What I want is Arkham. What I want is Returns. What I want is Smooth Criminal. What I want is First Class. I don't want those last two, but I want to see the fans who have been waiting years for them see them given the attention they deserve instead of yet another representation of an ex-Junkie wearing a glorified trash can.

Actually you can estimate the sales of Arkham Batman.. from the sales of the most popular previous Batman releases .. and then dial it back a percentage, because its primarily aimed at fanboys of computer games, which get less publicity than films.. and I say that as a fan of the look in the Arkham license, indeed I would snap up a 1:4 vinyl Harley Quinn from that license in a heartbeat (providing it didn't have 'Bishoujo boobs').

Businesses do not base their release schedule on the premises that after each IM release, they must release figures for three or four other groups of fanboys, just to be 'fair'.. and as has been pointed out HT have announced plenty of figures from other licenses

IM is effectively subsidising some of the other product development.. patience is therefore a virtue.. yelling I want! I want! I want! is not..

To be perfectly frank the Superman license leaves me completely cold.. but I'm not all over the Superman threads yelling about it.. and asking why its holding up Whiplash II!

... mmmmm.. Whiplash II :drool

Who says I wanted Gordon in a suit (I'd like to see it, but I doubt is buy it)? I want Arkham, and before you say something wouldn't be as successful, don't even go there. The fact of the matter is that you wouldn't know what the sales would be unless they actually took the time to make them. What I want is Arkham. What I want is Returns. What I want is Smooth Criminal. What I want is First Class. I don't want those last two, but I want to see the fans who have been waiting years for them see them given the attention they deserve instead of yet another representation of an ex-Junkie wearing a glorified trash can.

We get that you're beyond upset, and have a hickey for batman (please stop saying something related to trash and cans with iron man, you've said it for the past what, 3 pages now?), but if you really care about other fans and their wants and are fed up with Hot Toys' schedule and decisions, you're better off starting your own company titled "Wayne toys" so how about it? Want to make some figures of a guy in a rubber/ spandex suit with pointed ears rather than a figure of a guy in a mobile high-tech trash can?

P.S. is a Blake figure really necessary

P.P.S. Hope there's no hard feelings. :1-1:

Really? What Iron Man dipped in gold? Iron Man painted up like an LA gangbangers car? Iron Man in Christmas colors? Iron Man in a different shade of gold? Iron Man in a different shade of bronze? Silver? Purple? Blue? What?...

..as opposed to .. man in black.. man in black .. man in black? (jk)

...Just to be clear, though, I was half joking when I said I have a great amount of disdain for IM fans. It annoys me a little bit, but I don't begrudge you guys for liking what you like. I just think some things are getting pretty excessive, though. Is a Pepper Potts figure really necessary?

:1-1: ..yes, full suit Rescue Pepper is more necessary than most of the other releases from IM3! :)

Calling someone an ex-junkie because you don't have your toys is really bitter and stupid. Your figures will come.

Exactly, while I'm still waiting for figures hot toys has promised us ages ago, I'm one of those collectors who doesn't care how long a product takes to get made as long as I know it's coming( I don't mean if it takes twenty to hundred years,more like 5 to 10 years) but if it doesn't come out by then, or if it gets cancelled that's when I go ape-****. :cuckoo: :gah::duh:blissysmi

I don't have a problem with the Iron Man as long as they make a diecast Mark 3, maybe a new Stark from 1 and 2, and finally show their Bat stuff. This hobby is all about patience.

Actually you can estimate the sales of Arkham Batman.. from the sales of the most popular previous Batman releases .. and then dial it back a percentage, because its primarily aimed at fanboys of computer games, which get less publicity than films.. and I say that as a fan of the look in the Arkham license, indeed I would snap up a 1:4 vinyl Harley Quinn from that license in a heartbeat (providing it didn't have 'Bishoujo boobs').

Businesses do not base their release schedule on the premises that after each IM release, they must release figures for three or four other groups of fanboys, just to be 'fair'.. and as has been pointed out HT have announced plenty of figures from other licenses

IM is effectively subsidising some of the other product development.. patience is therefore a virtue.. yelling I want! I want! I want! is not..

To be perfectly frank the Superman license leaves me completely cold.. but I'm not all over the Superman threads yelling about it.. and asking why its holding up Whiplash II!

... mmmmm.. Whiplash II :drool

Actually, I was thinking the opposite of Arkham Batman. This is still a relatively nichey hobby that we're involved in, and hardcore gamers, as non-collectors, might be more likely to shell out for something like this, as opposed to your casual non-collector, movie goer market.

We get that you're beyond upset, and have a hickey for batman (please stop saying something related to trash and cans with iron man, you've said it for the past what, 3 pages now?), but if you really care about other fans and their wants and are fed up with Hot Toys' schedule and decisions, you're better off starting your own company titled "Wayne toys" so how about it? Want to make some figures of a guy in a rubber/ spandex suit with pointed ears rather than a figure of a guy in a mobile high-tech trash can?

P.S. is a Blake figure really necessary

P.P.S. Hope there's no hard feelings. :1-1:

I actually don't want a Blake figure that much. :lol In fact, I'm mainly just tired of the HT hype machine. The DX 12 could've been a lot better of they didn't just produce it as a quick cash in. Frankly, I don't give a damn how many Iron Men produce, but what bothers me is that, in doing so, they're diverting resources from other licenses, as evidenced by the various "delayed, that's delayed, too, so's that" responses Chan was giving. They need to hire some people specifically to handle IM stuff; keep reusing the same headsculpts (since they've got plenty to choose from, at this point), and let their other employees do different projects.

Calling someone an ex-junkie because you don't have your toys is really bitter and stupid. Your figures will come.

Perhaps that was a little much. I deleted the post.:peace

..as opposed to .. man in black.. man in black .. man in black? (jk)

:1-1: ..yes, full suit Rescue Pepper is more necessary than most of the other releases from IM3! :)

Why not just include an alternate HS with the MK 42 figure? Re-release the female TT with the Black sports bra, and let people bash her using the parts from different releases (glove from Tony Stark workshop figure). If anything, they'd make more money that way because people who want Pepper would be forced to buy two of the most expensive Iron Man figures.:lol

I couldn't agree with you more on hot toys needing to have specific people on specific projects and licenses, but out of all this the one license I have zero patience for is BTTF.

Actually, I was thinking the opposite of Arkham Batman. This is still a relatively nichey hobby that we're involved in, and hardcore gamers, as non-collectors, might be more likely to shell out for something like this, as opposed to your casual non-collector, movie goer market.

I actually don't want a Blake figure that much. :lol In fact, I'm mainly just tired of the HT hype machine. The DX 12 could've been a lot better of they didn't just produce it as a quick cash in. Frankly, I don't give a damn how many Iron Men produce, but what bothers me is that, in doing so, they're diverting resources from other licenses, as evidenced by the various "delayed, that's delayed, too, so's that" responses Chan was giving. They need to hire some people specifically to handle IM stuff; keep reusing the same headsculpts (since they've got plenty to choose from, at this point), and let their other employees do different projects.

Perhaps that was a little much. I deleted the post.:peace

I'd definitely like to see those, as well. I'm just saying, I'm sure they could hire a few people specifically for IM stuff, I mean, with the vast library they've acquired (with the exception of things like Monger and Igor), they've got a pretty good base that they could just have certain people modifying. The new BD MK VII sculpt's awesome, the Stark figure sculpts are awesome, as is the MK 42 sculpt, so why not just reuse them, when you do need them, but, for the majority of them, it's unnecessary, they can help the customers out by not including unnecessary headsculpts with the armors that were only controlled remotely in the film, and, in turn, save themselves some work.

As far as Pepper goes, though, really? Pepper? You wouldn't rather have, I don't know, Killian? Or Happy, first?

Why not just include an alternate HS with the MK 42 figure? Re-release the female TT with the Black sports bra, and let people bash her using the parts from different releases (glove from Tony Stark workshop figure). If anything, they'd make more money that way because people who want Pepper would be forced to buy two of the most expensive Iron Man figures.:lol

I take your point.. but I was hoping for a more svelte suit variant (that photoshopped pic in the Potts thread rocked!) :pray:
.. and tbh, Business Suit Potts and Sports Bra, Chemically Enhanced Potts are just not my bag.. too much 'dolly' going on... :lol

I'm sorry, but absolutely not. Don't be cruel, man. We already have to deal with over 40 suits, but now you want them to start tackling stuff that wasn't in the movie?:lol

I'm sorry, but absolutely not. Don't be cruel, man. We already have to deal with over 40 suits, but now you want them to start tackling stuff that wasn't in the movie?:lol

Hey, its Pepper in a hot suit, kicking a**.. don't quibble over trifling details, sir! :lol

Rambo, Dutch news is cool but I have zero expectation for anything soon.....maybe 2015 -3016. Everything else was known, just confirmed....delayed.

Back