Sean's 1/6 Bantha project

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No updates yet. I cut my finger over the weekend and had to get a few stitches, so I've been sort of in limbo with the Bantha since the finger is in a splint.

Hopefully in a few days I will finish up the legs, then all I have to do is paint (which is why I was looking for an airbrush, still haven't found one though- not sure what to get) and do the Bantha's fur and saddle/accessories.

Sean

No updates yet. I cut my finger over the weekend and had to get a few stitches, so I've been sort of in limbo with the Bantha since the finger is in a splint.

Hopefully in a few days I will finish up the legs, then all I have to do is paint (which is why I was looking for an airbrush, still haven't found one though- not sure what to get) and do the Bantha's fur and saddle/accessories.

Sean

ouch! I've done that before... using those cheap razor blades instead of good crafting knives for trimming things up... A few years back apparently my dad was using a similar razor/knife when it slipped, slid off his finger nail and sliced through the side of his finger... they somehow managed to sew the loose flap back onto the fingernail itself... I don't remember him having a finger splint tho...

maybe you'll have to get a robotic/prosthetic finger instead, like an exact replica of one of the fingers from Anakin's robotic hand or something... You know, in the world we live in today, it's almost worth getting your hand chopped off so you can have a cool prosthetic! :lol sends the wrong message to the kids...

anyway, hope you're ok now, I'd like to see where this Bantha goes! (hmm... Tatooine, perhaps? :D)

Dude this looks great! I can't wait to see more pics. Love the horns and feet. I wish I could sculpt like this. What kind of clay do you use?

Finally some updates. I got sidetracked with another project and trying to find an airbrush before I started painting the Bantha. I never got the airbrush, but decided to go ahead and try painting the Bantha with brushes. I will probably retouch a lot of areas, but here's the work-in-progress.

I decided on general elephant colors, since any part of the real elephant that showed in the film was it's natural color and the rest was covered in "fur". The lips will be the only thing visible on the face, aside from the eyes once complete.

bantha-1.jpg

bantha-2.jpg

bantha-3.jpg

Now I have to clean up the paint, details some things and then apply the fur...

Sean

:clap

that looks incredible! I've never seen a naked Bantha before... :lol

Can't wait till you add fur to that sucker! Gonna be awesome! :banana

Impressive. I applaud your ambition, and pray my wife doesn't see this, as she's been after me to sculpt a 1/6 dragon for quite a while! Keep at it!...PS

Looking good.About how big will it be when done?

It will be quite big- basically the size of a 1/6 scale elephant. Here's a shot of the armature when I first started, with a 12 inch figure next to it for scale (I shortened the body slightly since this picture was taken). Here the body hasn't had it's bulk added to it yet.

10.jpg

Sean

Last edited:
Finally some updates. I got sidetracked with another project and trying to find an airbrush before I started painting the Bantha. I never got the airbrush, but decided to go ahead and try painting the Bantha with brushes. I will probably retouch a lot of areas, but here's the work-in-progress.

I decided on general elephant colors, since any part of the real elephant that showed in the film was it's natural color and the rest was covered in "fur". The lips will be the only thing visible on the face, aside from the eyes once complete.

bantha-1.jpg

bantha-2.jpg

bantha-3.jpg

Now I have to clean up the paint, details some things and then apply the fur...

Sean
Looking great! Can't wait to see this guy evolve!

Back