SSC TPM Obi-Wan Kenobi Jedi Padawan

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just noticed last night that the inner robes are lopsided at the arms. One side is stitched completely differently to the other and loses the effect entirely. :(

I hadn't actually checked under the outer robe when it came cause I liked it so much.

Don't know if I ever updated on this or not, but I heard back from Sideshow and they are just sending me a replacement right forearm and lightsaber for the non-working one I got.

So fingers crossed that the replacement works :duff

Just noticed last night that the inner robes are lopsided at the arms. One side is stitched completely differently to the other and loses the effect entirely. :(

I hadn't actually checked under the outer robe when it came cause I liked it so much.

Yeah mine are a but funnily stitched too. The folds in the sleeves are around his biceps on mine, whereas it should be up at the shoulders.

One thing I want to add is I really don't like the legs on the body he comes on! And the arms seem a touch too short.

Doubtful. But then this hobby is full of wishful thinking.

It's Also worth noting that lucasfilm prefers sculpts that " capture the essence of the character" rather than ones that look spot on to the actor.

Not sure you doubt a custom being made :huh It's as simple as commissioning someone to do it.

I'm sure most people who bought this would want a good custom.

Not sure you doubt a custom being made :huh It's as simple as commissioning someone to do it.

I'm sure most people who bought this would want a good custom.

I don't think he was doubting that a custom could be done (lerath is well aware that a custom has BEEN done for years now). He was saying he doubts the likeness could be much better. (or that is how I read it anyway)

Oh, I don't doubt we will see a custom. I'm just not sure we will see one better than this. Partly becuase transparent flesh casting like hot toys does on occasion, and as was done on this head in particular is tricky to get right.

Then again, that's also subjective. I've got no real issues with the sculpt, nor the paint on mine.

I don't think he was doubting that a custom could be done (lerath is well aware that a custom has BEEN done for years now). He was saying he doubts the likeness could be much better. (or that is how I read it anyway)

Yup, exactly, or at the very least, Better enough to warrant the amount of money it would cost to purchase said head ( likely 50ish) then get it painted to a comparable standard ( likely 80-100ish)

And I will never forgive whoever pointed out that it looks like this person... :lol
I really can't shake the comparison...

sarah-gilbert_zpsdc11834d.jpg

Sarah-Gilbert-Lesbian-500x333_zps1a9f6813.jpg
:exactly:

I LOVE your new sig.. :lol

Ohhhhhh, I see what you guys are saying. I agree, getting a comparable head sculpt is going to be costly. I think the execution of this sculpt is top notch, although mine has a wonky eye, the actual material used should be SSCs standard for all human heads. A comparable paint job will be +$50 bucks by itself. But I think this head falls short of the Ewan likeness. They missed on this one. It is not as bad in person as its not very photogenic but it still fall short. IMO it only has a mild resemblance to EM.

It's too bad too as the rest of the figure sets a real bar for SSCs. I really wish they could deliver on a higher level on human sculpts.

Ohhhhhh, I see what you guys are saying. I agree, getting a comparable head sculpt is going to be costly. I think the execution of this sculpt is top notch, although mine has a wonky eye, the actual material used should be SSCs standard for all human heads. A comparable paint job will be +$50 bucks by itself. But I think this head falls short of the Ewan likeness. They missed on this one. It is not as bad in person as its not very photogenic but it still fall short. IMO it only has a mild resemblance to EM.

It's too bad too as the rest of the figure sets a real bar for SSCs. I really wish they could deliver on a higher level on human sculpts.

And as I said before the missing the mark may be intentional. Lucasfilm tends to fav sculpts that are more the character, less the actor.

That's a good point on the LF deal, but I dont think it's wishful thinking that someone will top this. Just have to figure out who....
To your point, Andy B had a Mace Windu that was das sheit, then LF made him turn it into Rallo from Sandford and Son.

It's an excellent sculpt, bit I wouldn't say Bespin Luke is dead on.. :lol

To stick with SSC as an example; their old Ben - now THAT was a spot on likeness.. bad paint aside. That figure right there puts a hole in the 'LFL restricts copying exact likenesses of actors' argument. :lecture :huh

Well, it's all subjective and I respect your opinion but IMO HTs Bespin Luke was BY FAR thee best 1/6th scale likeness ever produced PERIOD.

Old Ben was the best SSCs has ever done though. So I agree with you from that stand point.

That's a good point on the LF deal, but I dont think it's wishful thinking that someone will top this. Just have to figure out who....
To your point, Andy B had a Mace Windu that was das sheit, then LF made him turn it into Rallo from Sandford and Son.

Can someone sculpt a better Ep1 obi head? possibly

Will someone make one that's better enough to make it worth dropping 150$ on it?
Doubt it.

if you get him in hand, it's actually a really amazing piece over all. YES it has it's flaws, but they're minor.

It's an excellent sculpt, bit I wouldn't say Bespin Luke is dead on.. :lol

To stick with SSC as an example; their old Ben - now THAT was a spot on likeness.. bad paint aside. That figure right there puts a hole in the 'LFL restricts copying exact likenesses of actors' argument. :lecture :huh

except, you know, the whole part that sideshow, and sculptors who work for sideshow, and lucasfilm themselves have said that's the case numerous times.

Why did Old ben get a pass, and others didn't?

No idea.

Well, it's all subjective and I respect your opinion but IMO HTs Bespin Luke was BY FAR thee best 1/6th scale likeness ever produced PERIOD.

Old Ben was the best SSCs has ever done though. So I agree with you from that stand point.
Hey, don't get me wrong - it's an amazing set. I'm a huge fan of Luke at that stage of the saga - since I was a kid, so it's a grail dream come true.

However, the sculpt is more stylized than dead accurate - there's nothing really subjective about it. It's like a cross between pre-accident Hamill & 1980 Hamill.

except, you know, the whole part that sideshow, and sculptors who work for sideshow, and lucasfilm themselves have said that's the case numerous times.

Why did Old ben get a pass, and others didn't?

No idea.
Well.. there you go then, but that's news to me - I'd love a link though. :)

Last edited:
Revenge of the sith DVD special features. Either in the comontary, or one of the behind the scenes. They talk about how they want " idealized versions" of the characters as opposed to 100% faithful reproductions. Its about " capturing the essence of the character" as opposed to the likeness of the actor with Lucasfilm appearently. The specific conversation was in reference to the differences in the Vader costume at the end of the film, and how it's somewhat of an amalgamation of aspects of all the previous suits.

As for the sideshow quotes, feel free to dig through 1000's of posts from Andy b from 4 or 5 years ago if you really really want to.

Or just take the words of the older members on it if you want.

Additionally, we could possibly get someone like CAHobbit to come in and confirm it... I she sees this thread. ( think CA'sa she)

Last edited:
Back