SW VS. LOTR #3: C-3PO & R2-D2 VS. Merry & Pippin

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

C-3PO & R2-D2 or Merry & Pippin?

• C-3PO and R2-D2

Votes: 45 51.7%
  • Merry and Pippin

Votes: 42 48.3%

• Total voters

tomandshell

Blue Flame of the West/Mod
Reaction score
After a close race, Gandalf pulled out a narrow victory over Obi-Wan, so the running score is LOTR: 2, Star Wars: 0.
And now for poll #3/15:

c3poandr2d2vsmerryandpippinjf4.jpg

These loveable characters provide a great deal of comic relief as they travel alongside their saga’s heroes. Their interaction reveals a deep affection and devotion to each other despite the occasional bickering, and while they would be more comfortable far away from the action, they continue to find themselves at the center of climactic events--responding with good humor, resourcefulness and an unexpected reserve of courage.

May the best pair win!!

I have to go with the droids. Their classic in every sence of the word. In no way do two pot smoking Hobbits have anything on R2 & 3PO.

The robotic duo for sure. They actually had a purpose for being in the series. Merry and Pippin could have been cut out completely and the story would have played out pretty much the same.

Buttmunch said:
The robotic duo for sure. They actually had a purpose for being in the series. Merry and Pippin could have been cut out completely and the story would have played out pretty much the same.

:confused: HOw so?? THey're both a vital part of the trilogy!

Buttmunch said:
Merry and Pippin could have been cut out completely and the story would have played out pretty much the same.

Except Faramir would have burned to death and the Witch King would have survived. (Well, survived a little longer at least.) Also, the Balrog wouldn't have been alerted to the Fellowship's presence in Moria from that bucket, so Gandalf wouldn't have died, and his presence would likely have affected the outcome at Amon Hen, and Boromir would have survived as well. Also, their absence in Fangorn would have meant that the Ents did not attack Isengard and remove Saruman and Orthanc from the equation. I think they impact the story quite a lot.

tomandshell said:
Except Faramir would have burned to death and the Witch King would have survived. (Well, survived a little longer at least.) Also, the Balrog wouldn't have been alerted to the Fellowship's presence in Moria from that bucket, so Gandalf wouldn't have died, and his presence would likely have affected the outcome at Amon Hen, and Boromir would have survived as well. Also, their absence in Fangorn would have meant that the Ents did not attack Isengard and remove Saruman and Orthanc from the equation. I think they impact the story quite a lot.

Yeah, but without the droids, Luke wouldn't have been prompted to action, he wouldn't have hooked up with Solo, and he wouldn't have saved his sister...and the Empire would still be around.

When I first read this poll, I thought I'd have no trouble picking the droids. But after thinking about it for a few minutes, I realized that Merry and Pippen are just as vital as 3PO and R2. They are the reasons the Ents marched against Isengard, Faramir wasn't killed, the beacons were lit, .......

But then I thought to myself, "Come on, it's the droids"

Wor-Gar said:
Yeah, but without the droids, Luke wouldn't have been prompted to action, he wouldn't have hooked up with Solo, and he wouldn't have saved his sister...and the Empire would still be around.

Yea. Middle Earth would have just been screwed, while then Empire controlled vast parts of the Galaxy.

Wor-Gar said:

Don't forget without R2, the Queen, Obi and Qui-Gon would've been killed by the Trade Federation.

Well since you didn't specify where the droids be taken from, I went with the OT droids. Minus the flying R2 and Anakin-built C3PO, they are classic in the OT.

Back