SW VS. LOTR #6: Chewbacca VS. Gimli

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chewbacca VS. Gimli

• Chewbacca

Votes: 43 48.3%
  • Gimli

Votes: 46 51.7%

• Total voters

tomandshell

Blue Flame of the West/Mod
Reaction score
One third of the way through our poll marathon, Darth Maul's victory over Lurtz has propelled Star Wars into the lead, with three points to LOTR's two. Will this week's poll increase the lead, or bring us back to a tie score? You be the judge:

chewbaccavsgimlihl3.jpg

Immediately set apart because of his height, this hero is known for both his shaggy hair and his ferocity in battle. It is unwise to upset him, as his short temper will get the best of him (and you). Also, the males and females of his race look strangely alike.

PAST POLL RESULTS:
1. Han Solo (39) VS. Aragorn (80)
2. Obi-Wan Kenobi (41) VS. Gandalf (62)
3. C-3PO & R2-D2 (44) VS. Merry & Pippin (42)
4. Luke (56) VS. Frodo (40)
5. Darth Maul (62) VS. Lurtz (28)

Last edited:
I may have to think about this for a bit. I like Chewey but when you think about it he really didn't do much in the movies... hummmm.

They both have reputations for being ferocious killing machines--but you actually see Gimli in battle going crazy with his axes and getting tossed at the Uruks, for example. We hear that Chewbacca rips arms out of sockets, etc., but don't really see much of that. He mostly growls on screen or gets restrained, but Gimli has a great deal of actual fighting on display. He even keeps a running total of his many kills so that he knows he is the number one killer of bad guys. I voted for Gimli.

:gimli

This was a tough one... I love both characters, but for me Chewbacca just barely edges Gimli out. And its mostly just my nostalgic love for the big walking carpet that puts him over.
:chew :chew :chew :chew​

tomandshell said:
They both have reputations for being ferocious killing machines--but you actually see Gimli in battle going crazy with his axes and getting tossed at the Uruks, for example. We hear that Chewbacca rips arms out of sockets, etc., but don't really see much of that. He mostly growls on screen or gets restrained, but Gimli has a great deal of actual fighting on display. He even keeps a running total of his many kills so that he knows he is the number one killer of bad guys. I voted for Gimli.

:gimli

I think I have to agree. Even with my love for all things Star Wars I gotta go with Gimli on this one. And thanks for putting up the past totals.

I am actually going to take a few days to think about this one. I think they are both equally important but Gimli did get more on screen fight time. Chewie is such a beloved character though (and my favorite GG statue).

Another good one Tom.

Sadly I have to go against my favoirite, Star Wars, and vote for Gimil. Chewie never really did it for me. He was all growl and no action. Gimil was all action plus comedy. Sadly Chewie just isn't this :chew

I think in battle, they both showed their skillz. So this leaves only comedy relief to deside the winner. Gimli had a couple of good lines and his bickering with Legolas was fun, but Chewie's reactions as a big chicken when you thought nothing could possibly scare this Thing was funnier.

So I voted for Chewie, even with that stupid Tarzan yell in ROTJ.:chew

I hated the Wookies of ROTS, and esp the piggy-back ride with Yoda :sick.

That said, Chewy has the more iconic dialogue. :lol

Let the Wookie win! :chew

For me, some of the best moments in SW involve Chewbacca. One of my favorite scenes in ROTJ is when Han and Chewie are reunited in Jabba's dungeon. You really saw the bond between two friends who had been through thick and thick. And you also saw Chewie's despair in ESB when they had to close the base doors on Hoth. Or how about when he didn't want to go down in the trash compactor because it of the smell?

I've always thought that Peter Mayhew did an excellent job making Chewie a fully fleshed out character. So what if we didn't see him tear people apart? You knew just by looking at him he could if he wanted.

:chew :chew :chew

hairlesswookiee said:
and chewy died saving the galaxy!!!

He what?!?

Oh yeah...

ChEUbacca died.

:rolleyes:

But didn't Gimli die in one of the LOTR EU novels, where he fought Sauron's evil clone alongside Aragorn's long lost twin brother and Frodo, fresh from his ninja training in the West? Gotta love EU!!!!

Back