Cathode Saber Tutorial: Warning lots of pics!

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
yes,that was the way, i gotta say this way is maybe more practical for a 'static ' display, the ones i do will give you maybe one hour continuous power out of a 9 volt cell,but are fully cordless(no wires from saber to power source)and full in body power(no trailing wires to mains), but this way shown is far more suitable for a collection that wont be disturbed frequently

one observation, i used these very same tubes when i started and they are way fragile....:eek:

Hurricane,
If you dont mind me asking what type of cathodes do you use? And will they fit within the Sideshow hilts? Or do you custom make your hilts?

For the 12v AC adapter, what did you attach to the end of the wire so it can plug into the female adapter of the inverter?

Forgot to mention that! You can purchase male and female connectors from the same web site. I just used the male end. Good catch JustinLuck!:D

Ok i have a question. i have an inverter, i have 2 cathode tubes and the wiring etc...but how do i power them up? i do have a AC/DC mains power adaptor that puts out 12V but theres no where for me to plug it all together???

Ok i have a question. i have an inverter, i have 2 cathode tubes and the wiring etc...but how do i power them up? i do have a AC/DC mains power adaptor that puts out 12V but theres no where for me to plug it all together???

Would you be able to show some pics of your set up? Normally there is an input and an output on the inverter. The input is for the mains power and the output will be for the cathode tubes.

Would you be able to show some pics of your set up? Normally there is an input and an output on the inverter. The input is for the mains power and the output will be for the cathode tubes.

Yeah sure :)

heres the kit i picked up for a couple of pounds at the pc store.

DSCF1312.jpg

It is indeed the inverter :). Theres 2 connections on one side for both cathode tubes and one connection on the other side where the power lead plugs into however the connection for the power lead isnt a standard AC/DC power adaptor connection

It is indeed the inverter :). Theres 2 connections on one side for both cathode tubes and one connection on the other side where the power lead plugs into however the connection for the power lead isnt a standard AC/DC power adaptor connection

Do you have the male/female plug with wires for the power leads? If so you just gotta splice your AC/DC power adaptor to the plugs.

Do you have the male/female plug with wires for the power leads? If so you just gotta splice your AC/DC power adaptor to the plugs.

The molex lead? yes that is there in the pic. I have removed the cathode tubes from the plastic tubes and jeez that was difficult!. They were glued in so i had to snip the small wire that runs up the outside of the bulb. Il solder that back on when i get the power supply sorted out

I have a power supply and i have managed to fired up the tubes etc however i have come upon a problem. The thin wire and where i have soldered it at the bottom get very hot! and if it contacts any other wire the light goes off ?.

I have a power supply and i have managed to fired up the tubes etc however i have come upon a problem. The thin wire and where i have soldered it at the bottom get very hot! and if it contacts any other wire the light goes off ?.

You gotta use shrink tube around each wire to prevent that. Especially when you slide the blade into the hilts both wires will be touching each other. So insulating each wire is a must to prevent shorts!

Thanks for the info Katkuru. I'm wondering is it safe to touch the cathode bulb when it is lighted up? Let say I pose Darth Vader fighting with Luke and both of their sabers are lighted up and stick to one another, is there any reaction (such as short circuit, burnt, etc) on the bulb?

once all my commissions are done (will be a while lol) I'm so gonna do this to my sabred figures.... once I've eventually found my preferred pose I rarely move them. i treat them like mini PF's ... so having this done and having all the inverters plugged into an extension lead will be great. One click and they all light up. Can't wait to get on with this.

Any other provider of these besides Vibe Lights?
I ordered from them and never got anything, I filed a claim thru Paypal...
they don't respond to e-mails or voice-mails...
So, any alternatives out there?

Thanks!!

Any other provider of these besides Vibe Lights?
I ordered from them and never got anything, I filed a claim thru Paypal...
they don't respond to e-mails or voice-mails...
So, any alternatives out there?

Thanks!!

Yup, I got burnt by Vibe lights too! Weird sinse all my previous transactions were good.
I now get mine from my local Checkers auto dealer. They are called, Optix 6" ultra mini neon.
They are alot more heavy duty than the vibe light ones but way more expensive! I pay about $22.00 each.

Can you put a dimmer switch on it to control the amount of light?

Hey I never thought of that! But I kinda like how bright they get, espcially when there is a lot of light on or around the figures, any less its hard to tell they are on.

Thanks for the info Katkuru. I'm wondering is it safe to touch the cathode bulb when it is lighted up? Let say I pose Darth Vader fighting with Luke and both of their sabers are lighted up and stick to one another, is there any reaction (such as short circuit, burnt, etc) on the bulb?

If you touch the bare wire you get a small shock. I would'nt let the sabers touch when ignited, you may cause a short.

Back