Ikea Granas Coffee Table become awesome Display Case

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well I am sure that's what they use to "glue" glass together but just the 3M exterior tape seem less messy and who know what the fumes you smell when applying this stuff do to you and more importantly to our toys
Just make sure you apply the tape in a warm environment and possibly go over it with a heat gun/hairdryer. Maybe even clamp it down for a day.

Clear silicone is a good way to go for permanent glass installation. Fumes should not be an issue, and it's what is used on tubs, sinks, showers, etc.

It's going to be permanent. I just don't want 1/4 thick inch glass falling on the bat pod and especially on the tumblers fins and antennas.

Can both of you give me a link. Geil which tape are you referring to? And which clear silicone should I use? Also is black silicone available?

Hey canonwars this is the plexiglass I used they have it at Home Depot
89476f658b351ca846f7d08f86653c36.jpg

https://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5y...+exterior+tape+vhb&storeId=10051#.UGPL1kIyDpQ
this is what I use for anything that needs to stay attached
As for your choice actually why 1/4" glass? 1/8 should be enough and I would spend the money on tempered glass instead. I know a lot of glass cases use even thinner than that closer to 1/16" The other alternative is certainly acrylic panels and what I will go for as I can process it myself. The beauty with this case is because you have a frame that is nice and thick there is plenty of room to hide any most flaws. I wouldn't even bother sanding the edges and there is plenty room for tolerance too. It's a whole different story when you don;t have a frame to hide stuff behind.
Keep in mind you will eventually have to move this thing around and glass especially 1/4" will weight this down a lot. It will stay scratch free easier but then acrylic is so much lighter and durable and possibly cheaper when compared to tempered glass

I know but I went with the glass close to the top part of it. Plus it is tempered. It will need to be heavy and to be able to stay put since we always have kids over. So it has to be sturdy. I asked a home depot guy about acrylics but the guy acted like he didn't know what I was talking about. If I knew I would have gone iron's route. But its already ordered so I will have to work with it. =T

Also if you notice as you tighten the screws on the top part the measurements start to go off wack. So a thick glass won't cause it to crack per say as get everything to line up

Also if you notice as you tighten the screws on the top part the measurements start to go off wack. So a thick glass won't cause it to crack per say as get everything to line up

Are you going use a trim angle or stick it rite to the frame, and with the lower shelf installed + you tighten the screws it firms up nice and square.
Giel is rite with the trim I have some room to play, you will need some room for tape + trim or just tape, when mine was all tight I got an even 44" for the length and 28-3/16" for the width, and I had to cut about 3/16" off my 44" side panels for the trim angle.

I don't think i'm going to be using a trim angle. Its going str8 onto the frame.

kids .. KIDS ....
protect we must our collection from them ... 1/4" tempered glass a must!!!!

Have to repaint the bottom board. The tumbler back wheels reacted to the paint finish and pealed off some of the paint. Gladly nothing is wrong with the wheels, just the back wheels need to be propped up on something. Gotta find some dark/black plates to lift up the back wheels.

Another thing you could do also is cut a large but as thin as you can find 1/16" acrylic panel to lay p. top of the MDF. That also of you ever were thinking of printing or using a poster as the bottom yo just need to lay the sheet over and will keep it nice and flat.

OK ordered the lights, I found a 1m long 4 pin extension for the light strip that should get me thru the leg so I can mount this all under the shelf, $2.99 not bad and a 10 pack of connectors for the corners for $5.00 and 300 RGB 50/50 waterproof 5m + remote + power for $32.00. So that's $40.00 all in. Hope this works!!!

much cheaper than the ebay stuff... can we get a list of where and what was used?

Back