Please check your Ironman 1:1 bust

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just contacted my LCS shop and they said they will contact SS. My faith on this one is on thier hands.

SideShow should make good on this. This should not happen. If this happens to my bust, I will ask that SideShow makes good and gives me a full refund.

Edited udate: Just checked the bust. No damage or signs of that sort of peeling effect.

Will we get the vat and duty we paid on this or is that money lost?

Better not be money lost. That's a big chunk of change there. I am wondering where these people are that this is happening and what the climate is... like dry or humidity. If it's in a very hot and moist place. Is it exposed to certain chemicals or sunlight. That sort of thing.

Did any of you guys notice this was damp when lifting out of the box. Did no concern me at the time but now that it's flaking on the base it has me wondering.

It's as if they are not keying up these sculpts before priming and painting. That's the only reason I can think for so many of these busts pealing.

Sorry to see this happening on such expensive items.

It's most likely caused by people handling the busts before painting. Oils from people's skin gets on the plastic and prevents proper paint adhesion, then, after a while, very likely caused by changes in temperature, causing the bust and paint to contract and expand, the paint starts to bubble and flake off. The proto pic of the IM 1:2 already has frosty looking paint, and what looks like missing paint in the nooks and crannies, such as on the gold on his biceps, for example. Too many paint problems on IM stuff. I would expect this kind of stuff on a $150-200 item, but NOT on an item over $300.

Did any of you guys notice this was damp when lifting out of the box. Did no concern me at the time but now that it's flaking on the base it has me wondering.

Damp??? ooh. Water or moisture could have gotten between the bust and the paint, and then slowly caused it to bubble. I would try using a dehumidifier near it and see what happens.

It's most likely caused by people handling the busts before painting. Oils from people's skin gets on the plastic and prevents proper paint adhesion, then, after a while, very likely caused by changes in temperature, causing the bust and paint to contract and expand, the paint starts to bubble and flake off. The proto pic of the IM 1:2 already has frosty looking paint, and what looks like missing paint in the nooks and crannies, such as on the gold on his biceps, for example. Too many paint problems on IM stuff. I would expect this kind of stuff on a $150-200 item, but NOT on an item over $300.

SideShow should do a recall if this becomes abundant in numbers.

Better not be money lost. That's a big chunk of change there. I am wondering where these people are that this is happening and what the climate is... like dry or humidity. If it's in a very hot and moist place. Is it exposed to certain chemicals or sunlight. That sort of thing.

Hi Eli, I'm from Vancouver and I display my statues on a cool, dry place on our family room.

Just checked mine, still ok. Although I noticed some rough patches on the base & his upper back ie. not sanded properly. The sculpt is good, but the paint & finish leave a lot to be desired. If knew of the issues that are present with this bust, I probably wouldn't have purchased it.

Just checked mine, still ok. Although I noticed some rough patches on the base & his upper back ie. not sanded properly. The sculpt is good, but the paint & finish leave a lot to be desired. If knew of the issues that are present with this bust, I probably wouldn't have purchased it.

Maybe its worth considering calling sideshow and seeing if they would exchange for the Mach 2?

My damage. Its been in a glass case, no sunlight, air conditioned house, no outside reason for it to flake like that.
IMG_0508.jpg

Wow, I really can't believe all of these cases "coming out of the woodwork." (And can't imagine how many with arise in a year or so.) I'm really shocked. I would definitely try to contact SS to see what can be done. They have a great customer service department, so I'm hoping something can be worked out.

That is EXACTLY what started happening to mine. I think it has something to do with the change in temps. I was beyond angry coming home to see that....

Oh man.......I'm sorry guys .....I checked mine out as soon as I read this thread........looks ok but you never know what can trigger off something like this.....and I ordered a 1:2 ironman on flex.....now I'm starting to think .........If my bust starts to flake I'm going to demand my deposit back or have them give me a guarantee that it wont happen to the 1:2

I do remember a paint smell when I removed the bust from the box when I first opened it......maybe they didn't allow it to fully cure before packing it up????who knows.????

Back