X-Files (Scully/Mulder) Headsculpts by Chris Howes Interest Thread

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

tbay

Super Freak
CF Supporter
Reaction score
Edit: If you want to be on the list please go to this thread (The Lone Gunmen and Skinner are also options on that thread). https://sideshowcollectors.com/forums/showthread.php?t=44514

Hi Everyone –

I’m a relatively new poster, but a long time visitor of this site. I’m a huge fan of the X-Files but was never quite satisfied with the Sideshow line (primarily the headsculpts).

Thankfully I’ve spoken to sculptor extraordinaire Chris Howes and he’s on board to sculpt a new Fox Mulder head and a Dana Scully head. Chris will chime in at some point to add any extra details I may have missed.

I wanted to post this here for a couple days to see if anyone’s interested, and then it can be moved over to the Custom Commissions if needed :D

Prices:
To make this dream come true we need a minimum of 10 people willing to pay $35.00 plus shipping per head. If we get 15 people to commit, the price goes down to $20.00 for his standard precasting discount. It returns to $35.00 after casting begins, so earlybirds get a heck of a deal. To get the presale discount, payment must be sent before actual casting begins. Chris will announce when the presale period is closed.

Payment:
Do not send payment to Chris until either Chris or I give you the word (we need at least 10 people to commit before Chris will move forward with sculpting). Once we have a price locked in (based on the commitment numbers) I’ll post payment details (or Chris may post info on this). Chris prefers paypal, but is willing to accept Money Order if you don’t use Paypal.

Samples of Chris Howes’ work:

Chris Howes' website:
https://www.chowes.com/

Chris Howes' custom sculpts on SSF:
Robert Downey:
https://sideshowcollectors.com/forums...=robert+downey
https://www.chowes.com/rdj/RDJ-Resin-1.jpg

Christian Bale and Heath Ledger (Joker):
https://sideshowcollectors.com/forums...ad.php?t=37796

How to get on board:

If you would like to be a part of the Scully and Mulder headsculpt commission group, please send me a PM or post a reply that indicates which headsculpt you want and how many of each and then I’ll add you to the list below. I hope you’re all as excited about this as I am!
:chew

Mulder List:
1. ebayarea
2. samueljd
3. mudshark

Scully List:
1. ebayarea
2. samueljd
3. mudshark

The Lone Gunmen
1. ebayarea
2. Lordazreal
3. metaphorge
4. mudshark
5. Vader
6. Buttmunch (maybe?)

Skinner
1. ebayarea
2. samueljd
3. vader

Last edited:
I felt Scully was just fine. Mulder could have used some work though. But I'd rather have new X-files characters at this point instead of newer versions of Mulder and Scully.

Judging by Chris' previous work I'm sure he'll nail the Mulder sculpt, let me know if you're interested and I'll put you on the list :)

I'll pm you if we end up getting to the other characters because as a huge X-phile I definitely would like to get to those guys down the line.

I think that Mulders sculpt is better than Scully, but they both suffer from not so good paint jobs. It would be good to have the heads cast in a flesh tone resin/plastic, like the HT heads, so the paint is kept to a minimum of the hair, eyebrows, eyes and lips.

I felt Scully was just fine. Mulder could have used some work though. But I'd rather have new X-files characters at this point instead of newer versions of Mulder and Scully.

Scully is perfect - you only need to check out DarkArtist's repaint to see that.

Hope Josh doesn't mind me linking his pics from his website

dscn3422.jpg
dscn3423.jpg
dscn3424.jpg

Ada Chan's Fox Mulder is pretty good too.

I'd be interested new sculpts, but I'd rather have sculpts that fit the Hot Toys Truetype bodies. Just as some of the other posters mentioned, I think it's the bad paint applications on the older Sideshow figures rather than imperfect sculpts that are the main problem with the figures.

Scully is perfect - you only need to check out DarkArtist's repaint to see that.

Hope Josh doesn't mind me linking his pics from his website

dscn3422.jpg
dscn3423.jpg
dscn3424.jpg

Ada Chan's Fox Mulder is pretty good too.

Wow... sexy Scully :monkey5

Thanks for all your input guys. Would you be interested in the Lone Gunmen and Skinner (I know sideshow made Skinner, but its impossible to get at this point)? Chris is on board for both, so if you guys are down for it let me know so I can put you on the list before I start the interest thread (I want to give this thread some time before generating interest in the Gunmen just in case theres a few X-philes out there like me that would like a new Scully and Mulder).

Samuel: I'll ask Chris about getting the head to fit a hot toys body, not sure what needs to be done to make that work. If this is possible would you like to be on the interest list for Mulder?

That's incredible work by Josh, thanks for posting it. I'm a big fan of his and loved his work on Scully so much that I wanted to get an even better sculpt by Chris for the darkartist to paint, imagine what Josh could do with an even better sculpt? What can I say, I have a thing for Scully :)

It would be awesome to have Scully and Mulder sculpted by Chris to match a possible Lone Gunmen set. Hopefully there's a few people out there that would be interested in a getting a different sculpt, sideshow did a good job (bad paint though) but as a big fan of Chris Howes' work, I really believe Chris will hit it out of the park with his interpretation of the characters. So if anyone's interested let me know.

I'd be interested in a Skinner HS (missed out on the exclusive) as well as the Lone Gunmen.

Great, I'll put both of you down on the lonegunmen list. Hopefully I can start that thread soon.

Meta, you're lucky you got Skinner! Sounds like me and Vader are going on that Skinner list since we missed out (Still kicking myself over that one!).

I'd be up for the lone gunmen. As for Mulder... maybe. Scully - how about with long hair from the new movie ?
If you go Krycek - maybe go with the short back and sides agent look when he first showed up.

I'd be down for a new Mulder and Lone Gunmen for sure. I might be interested in a Dana with a newer look and an early version of Krycek, as well as some of the other characters that were never made. The First Elder, the Well-Manicured Man, Max Fenig... the list goes on.

Edit: I like the idea of sculpting them for Hot Toys bodies, both male and female. Dragon would work for some of the shorter characters, too.

Last edited:
Thanks for all your input guys. Would you be interested in the Lone Gunmen and Skinner (I know sideshow made Skinner, but its impossible to get at this point)? Chris is on board for both, so if you guys are down for it let me know so I can put you on the list before I start the interest thread (I want to give this thread some time before generating interest in the Gunmen just in case theres a few X-philes out there like me that would like a new Scully and Mulder).

Samuel: I'll ask Chris about getting the head to fit a hot toys body, not sure what needs to be done to make that work. If this is possible would you like to be on the interest list for Mulder?

That's incredible work by Josh, thanks for posting it. I'm a big fan of his and loved his work on Scully so much that I wanted to get an even better sculpt by Chris for the darkartist to paint, imagine what Josh could do with an even better sculpt? What can I say, I have a thing for Scully :)

It would be awesome to have Scully and Mulder sculpted by Chris to match a possible Lone Gunmen set. Hopefully there's a few people out there that would be interested in a getting a different sculpt, sideshow did a good job (bad paint though) but as a big fan of Chris Howes' work, I really believe Chris will hit it out of the park with his interpretation of the characters. So if anyone's interested let me know.

I'd definitely be interested in Mulder, Scully, and Skinner, but like I said I'd prefer to have them sculpted for Hot Toys bodies.

I'd prefer to have them sculpted for Hot Toys bodies.

Hot Toys body come with an adapter that allows them to take a Sideshow head. There is no special sculpting required. Sculpting them to fit the normal HT connector would limit it to HT bodies exclusively. Not really a wise decision IMHO.

Hot Toys body come with an adapter that allows them to take a Sideshow head. There is no special sculpting required. Sculpting them to fit the normal HT connector would limit it to HT bodies exclusively. Not really a wise decision IMHO.

To be honest with you I wouldn't want to have the option of putting the head back on a Sideshow figure. I think the current Sideshow body is awkward and the joints somewhat flimsy. I'm very much looking forward to the Prometheus body. I wasn't aware that there was an adapter that could match the Sideshow heads to a Hot Toys body. Is it the short flatter neck joint that comes with the Truetype nude bodies or a different one.

It's the shorter flat neck shaped like a bowl.
SS heads just kinda sit on the HT short neck
I have transplanted a few SS heads on top HT bodies, but I have had to either glue the neck post in or wrap a load of double sided tape around the neck peg so that the head doesn't wobble, or pop off so easily.
Of course if you glue the heads onto the neck post it's a sod to get them apart again.

I agree, since there's an adaptor for ss heads, sculpting them to fit the sideshow body will allow more fans to get on board while not alienating the hot toys folks. Whoa, we already have 5 (maybe 6) people on board for the lone gunmen and the official thread hasn't started. Once that thread starts i don't think we'll have a problem getting ten people on board.

I'll transport the lists as soon as I make it. Scully, Mulder and Skinner and getting there slowly...

If we get these commission groups are successful, perhaps Chris would be willing to sculpt some of the other characters you mentioned (I'd love to get all of those characters made too!), but I'll focus on getting this batch made first.

Last edited:
Already replied to this on MWD, but just in case...
I like the original Sideshow sculpts, so don't intend to buy new ones, however, if you ever think of comissioning an Agent Reyes and a Mr X, then, wow, i'll be the first to sign up! After all, to me, they're the most important characters that remain to be produced, followed closely by the Lone Gunmen (but I've never really liked the humour in X Files) and Deep Throat!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back