SSC TPM Obi-Wan Kenobi Jedi Padawan

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Man I'm really impressed with TPM Obi! I received mine this past Monday and I immediately gave his robe to my Jedi Knight Obi and put TPM Obi in a nice fighting stance vs Maul....speaking of Maul, Sideshow really needs to update him with a nicer body and poseable feet like Obi and a grimacing face....I digress

My only complaint is that the light up saber didn't work, I even went out and bought brand new batteries for it and they still did not work...so I filed a claim with sideshow....hopefully they can just send me a replacement lightup saber. :pray:

I think Sideshow really stepped it up with its recent releases. This one is still not HT level, especially when you compare to Luke, but the gap is slowly narrowing. Overall I'd give it an 8.5/10.

I don't know or fiddle enough to change out bodies and make mods, so I'll just stick with the stock figure which is fine, although might send out a head for a repaint just to see how it turns out. How do folks get the wrinkles out of these clothes, and what type of paints do you use for touchups?

It will be interesting to see how SS handles future human releases--especially the females. HT is glacially slow, so am not holding out for them. SS seriously needs to go back and redo Anakin (ep II & III), Qui-Gon and Mace at least. Then start getting to characters like Dooku, Queen and arena Padme Amidala, Ep V and slave Leia. I wonder if they will do a Talon any time soon.

Not gonna lie I think the figure is pretty piss poor as a figure, great for sideshow but unfortunately that still equals piss poor. I didn't buy it but my brother did and I'm glad I did not. For a sideshow figure it's one of their best but sideshow figures just dont cut it anymore when you have SW figures like Luke now.

Same crappy paint job, same oversized cartoony bobblehead, sometimes despite that there are still great liknesses in the heads despite the lack of realism but this does not look like Ewan, same crappy promethis body even if the joints are finally tighter the design still sucks, it only took them 4 years how to figure out how to get that thing to not flop around like a rag doll.

That neck... What a joke, it gives me the creeps.

The light up Saber is a joke, surely there has to be a better way to execute that than a poorly sculpted hand stuck to an oversized hilt.

I wish I could give sideshow credit for stepping it up a bit because look, they no doubt have with this release, as I said its their best ever possibly, however for 150 bucks it costs about what a hot toys did maybe about 2 years ago and the work that hot toys was doing then is actually better than what they are doing now. Sideshow just can't cut the mustard on human figures and if they were smart they would have not toys execute at the very least the heads as Medicom does with Enterbay and they can handle the rest if they absolutely insist to.

Not buying this product even if I have a few old sideshow figures I like the character and think its one of their better ones is simply because I demand a higher quality product especially for a price like that. Not that price is a complete detterant, at the end of the day its about a cool product. The price could be double but if the quality was double I'd probably buy it despite being annoyed about it they would have offered me something I couldn't refuse.

Better or not sideshow should either get with the program or stick to distribution and lisences.

Last edited:
On but i do really like the hands in my opinion they are better than hot toys for sure. hot toys hands are still toy like lifeless and oversized. I bought some spare hands parted out to have for other figures.

I liked your insight about HT hands. I think you got it right.

In other new, great pics guys! SSC Obi fits very well with previous
figures. That's a good thing in my book. :clap SSC still tries to deliver
new stuff without making your previous purchases obsolete.

Wow Raymond. What do you really think?
Edit. By the way that's cool it's ur opinion.
This figure is in some ways a leap forward in others a step back.

Good. I think it looks good as a whole.
Paint apps continue to improve and aren't that far from hot toys. (Look at the original stuff!)

Bad. Hate the belt. I don't think this can be overstated. It's hasbro quality. And I mean current not potj.

The light up saber. Too big and just not a selling point for me.
Some one in the c3po thread about remote light switching and that's really what I need to get too excited although medicom did a good job of hiding the switch as did hot toys with the iron man figures I've seen

Overall the issue is with prices continuning to rise small details can't be over looked ie the belt.

Ps. The scuplt is good but not prefect. But neither is ht luke.

Last edited:
Well...as usual...a Sideshow figure release reaction is never lukewarm in here...:lol ....

I like this figure...is it perfect? No...but depending on one's point of view, not one figure we see, regardless of the company and the cost, is ever perfect.

I'm all for discussing merits and flaws, but it's always good to come down to Earth and just ask..."Do I like it?" "Does it look good how I'm choosing to display/photograph it"? My answer is yes on both those basic questions with this one.

I always appreciate seeing how other folks choose to "augment" or totally change and modify a figure...there is some real talent in here to be sure. I really like seeing the "modify"-type threads where most of the , ahem, "intense" reaction takes place and then folks actually do something about it. I'm more of the "take it out of the box, futz it's outfit and accessories" kind of collector...unless it's actually flawed from manufacturing or damaged from shipping, it is what it is....all part of this "fun" hobby....

Do I have a few "issues" with some of the choices that were made in rendering this figure? Sure...but nothing that makes me want to ship it back or leave it in the box....there's enough here to enjoy...and in many ways, it's indeed a step forward for Sideshow.

I'll keep visiting the "modify" threads to see what the local talent is doing to this one...but he's fine the way he is for me....I'm glad to, at long last, to have Sideshow's 1:6 scale take on this Padawan displayed with his Master...

TPM-KENOBI-13_zpsbca0cbdf.jpg

TPM-KENOBI-16_zps30e69c60.jpg

What I don't get is the figure looks pretty much like the proto so I don't understand why anyone is surprised at how this release turned out (great IMO). Seems like some ppl were expecting this to look almost nothing like the proto and all of sudden when they open the box, see a hot toys looking figure :dunno doesn't make anysense to me.

You should get it Joe! I wasn't going to buy it but after the pics started coming in and how awsome the headscuplt and paint turned out , I could'nt turn it down.

Hey Bill, yea I'm going to try to get him next check if i can. Just got Bane so I am a little low on funds.

Posted by jedibear "I'm all for discussing merits and flaws, but it's always good to come down to Earth and just ask..."Do I like it?" "Does it look good how I'm choosing to display/photograph it"? My answer is yes on both those basic questions with this one. "

Agreed. I like it and think it looks good.

Posted by jedibear "I'm all for discussing merits and flaws, but it's always good to come down to Earth and just ask..."Do I like it?" "Does it look good how I'm choosing to display/photograph it"? My answer is yes on both those basic questions with this one. "

Agreed. I like it and think it looks good.

And that's why Siths ROCK!!! Easy and simple enough for anyone to understand.

100% this!

Well, I'm impressed with you guys' photography. I can't for the life of me get it to look like Ewan. The sculpt is definitely off but exactly where, I can't exactly pin point it. To me it comes off looking more like Billy Bush or something.

"Something stinks! Maybe it's my sculpt."
IMG_3838.jpg

IMG_3830.jpg

IMG_3831.jpg

IMG_3835.jpg

"Ack, I can't stand the sight of me!"
IMG_3839.jpg

Okay, so I'm exaggerating a bit. It's not terrible but... just a bit off.
IMG_3841.jpg

IMG_3842.jpg

IMG_3844.jpg

Back