Statue Gentle Giant doing Iron Man Statues? (Iron Patriot @ GG Booth @ SDCC!)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nice pics! Love the pose on this one, but not a fan of the smoky lines at all. Way overdone imo. The light up feature is nice, weird they didn't include one in his boot though. Still think it's better than SS offering.

I'm thinking about fabricating a smaller acrylic base. The IP's base is about 14-15" in diameter. Pretty wide but I'm also contemplating the idea of using a film reel just like at the SDCC.

I don't know why GG didn't do that in the first place. I'm all for simplistic design but these just look cheap imo. Part of the reason I didn't buy one ultimately.

I'm thinking about fabricating a smaller acrylic base. The IP's base is about 14-15" in diameter. Pretty wide but I'm also contemplating the idea of using a film reel just like at the SDCC.

Use the film reel idea. I did with mine, and I just got my GG Iron Patriot in today. I just need to polish up the reel. The statue is Grade-A quality. Paint app is through the roof. I posted the pics on SF, so take a peek at them over there. The reel looks fantastic underneath the acrylic base. I do agree that they should make the acrylic bases smaller if they do intend to keep utilizing them.

The base for IP measures approximately 14" across. That's way too wide, but fits perfect sitting on top of a 35mm empty film reel. I would rather the acrylic bases measure out to at least 11".

GG - Iron Patriot 1/4 Scale Statue - Page 7 - Statue Forum

Awesome! Why would anyone go for the SS one given the choices?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Awesome! Why would anyone go for the SS one given the choices?

I'm anxious to see what people get in-hand when SS's is released. I'm almost positive there's gonna be problems with some. Maybe a lot, but hopefully that won't be the case. I went with GG's because I knew the quality would be awesome. I knew the paint app would be awesome. I loved the pose and I didn't mind the base.

I feel the SS ip pose is very boring and the air punching hand just looks wrong

GG has the better pose by a mile! SS has the more interesting base and more importantly, Legacy backing. Depends how the production pieces come out though as to which one would be best to pick up I guess.

Legacy backing has been a curse to SS IM pieces, not important at all tbh.

I'm not suggesting it will increase the quality, just that the proportions etc will be spot on to the movie suit as it was done by Legacy. That matters to some people. Still, I think the GG one looks fine.

I understand that GG use the original movie graphics to do the 3d printing so it should also be movie accurate?

Legacy Schmegacy. As far as I'm concerned, the only thing Legacy is good for are Sideshow prototypes. They're always gonna make it look dominating. The Sideshow end product is what really counts and when that's released, Legacy is usually nowhere to be mentioned.

The only nitpick I would have with this Gentle Giant IP is that the blue paint app could be a shade darker. However, the blue is very close enough for me. I don't need it to be the perfect shade of blue in order for me to recognize that it's Iron Patriot. It's superbly painted. I couldn't beg GG for a better paint job. The red parts have a bit of a glossy metal look while the blue and silver have more a matte metal look. When you look at him, you can at least see and tell that his suit looks metal and not matte plastic.

I also forgot to mention that the light-up feature is perfect. It's gorgeously bright when lit. As with a lot of Sideshow light-up features, you sometimes get the whole, "One eye is brighter than the other." Or, "One repulsor is brighter than the other." Or, "The arc rector seems to be brighter on one side than the other." Or, "Just a few lights come on, while the others don't." Or, "My lights flicker when they're turned on."

You get none of that ******** with this GG piece. Every light is precisely illuminated to the same intensity. This thing was built for quality. It's a shame to know and read that most collectors are too afraid to dip in and try out a new company, because all they've been trained and/or brainwashed to collect is Sideshow.

GG aren't a new company, they're an old kid on the block. They do some great stuff as evident here. The reason they don't have a bigger following is that they sometimes shoot themselves in the foot with poor releases and insane pricing such as with the jumbo Alien figure.

Still, none of that detracts from this guy which I like.

GG aren't a new company, they're an old kid on the block. They do some great stuff as evident here. The reason they don't have a bigger following is that they sometimes shoot themselves in the foot with poor releases and insane pricing such as with the jumbo Alien figure.

Still, none of that detracts from this guy which I like.

You're right. I meant to say different, but for some reason I put down "new". Their statues and busts also take forever to release, but every now and again, they do make some pretty unique and one-of-a-kind pieces. I wish they could obtain the Alien 1/4 license. I bet they'd crush it.

This is a very nice statue but what I don't get is GG's sporadic character choices. There is no traditional Iron Man (Mark III, IV, VII, XLII etc), Or other characters that would sell like Thor, Winter Soldier Bucky, Star Lord etc. They should really start releasing three or four different 1/4 statues for the various Marvel films and they would get a lot more attention.

Look how well Black Widow is doing in the aftermarket.

Back