HT--Executive Officer---KANE

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
They could have at least not put a mustache on the figure, even if it didn't look like John Hurt, it wouldn't be hurting anybody...

I don't understand why they even bothered with the non-facehuggered head. If it bears absolutely no likeness to the actor playing that character, what's the point?

The big problem I have is that when Hot Toys first released the Aliens line, Sideshow were selling them for $80. Nowadays the figures are almost double that, and as a fan I expect to be able to get it out of the box and not have to spend more money on other custom headsculpts, etc. We've had the problem with the Hicks figure having a Kyle Reese headsculpt; Hudson looking like Hicks; Apone with a goatee and weird sideburns, and Drake with a mustache. No other line seems to me to have had the same problems... maybe that's the way it is nowadays.

The big problem I have is that when Hot Toys first released the Aliens line, Sideshow were selling them for $80. Nowadays the figures are almost double that, and as a fan I expect to be able to get it out of the box and not have to spend more money on other custom headsculpts, etc. We've had the problem with the Hicks figure having a Kyle Reese headsculpt; Hudson looking like Hicks; Apone with a goatee and weird sideburns, and Drake with a mustache. No other line seems to me to have had the same problems... maybe that's the way it is nowadays.

I'm not sure if you're aware, but it seems like 20th Century Fox controlled properties, which of what HT's done so far are only Alien and Predator figures, are a hairy situation for likenesses. HT's first Terminator couldn't look like Arnold so it's a total conceptual piece. Even the Hicks/Reese head isn't a dead on likeness, especially without a repaint. And all the other paint jobs on the other ALIENS marines were to hide the likenesses. Ripley is pretty close to Weaver's portrait but they had to doll her up to sell it.

HT trys to deliver as much as they can, and probably being aware of the customizing world, only goes so far to fight the likeness rights battle before throwing in the towel or refusing to pay the money. It seems they got rights to Tom Skerrit, but apparently couldn't get them for John Hurt.

Now, they did play some bad games with not making the production head shown more in advance than this, but as far as the end result, that's the game you play getting Alien or Predator humans from Hot Toys.

I think suspicions were raised pretty much from the beginning as HT never did show any pre production shots of the two...
Not to keep banging on about it, but i have a sneaking suspicion Dutch and co. will suffer a similar fate...

I think suspicions were raised pretty much from the beginning as HT never did show any pre production shots of the two...
Not to keep banging on about it, but i have a sneaking suspicion Dutch and co. will suffer a similar fate...
Don't say that man, stay on the brightside.

I'm not sure if you're aware, but it seems like 20th Century Fox controlled properties, which of what HT's done so far are only Alien and Predator figures, are a hairy situation for likenesses. HT's first Terminator couldn't look like Arnold so it's a total conceptual piece. Even the Hicks/Reese head isn't a dead on likeness, especially without a repaint. And all the other paint jobs on the other ALIENS marines were to hide the likenesses. Ripley is pretty close to Weaver's portrait but they had to doll her up to sell it.

HT trys to deliver as much as they can, and probably being aware of the customizing world, only goes so far to fight the likeness rights battle before throwing in the towel or refusing to pay the money. It seems they got rights to Tom Skerrit, but apparently couldn't get them for John Hurt.

Now, they did play some bad games with not making the production head shown more in advance than this, but as far as the end result, that's the game you play getting Alien or Predator humans from Hot Toys.

The problems with the original predator line probably mean they will produce weird looking headsculpts for those like they did with Kane and the Aliens marines. The P1 line is my most anticipated line ever but if they show up and end up to look NOTHING like the actors, it will be a quick pass.

Last edited:
after much thought i decided to cancel Kane, the main reason was that when i saw the review LordMasterPrince gave on Dallas i was pretty impressed, and just did'nt have the same reaction with Kane. it really is a shame, but theres something about it....i dont know, maybe later on i will get it, but to spend 150some bucks on a fig, it damn better be worth it.

Bad sign of things to come. You won't be the last.

Hope this doesn't 'hurt' the line. But how can it not? We'll never have a licensed Kane.

I'm just wondering why they haven't announced anything else from this line. You'd think they would've by now.

I haven't canceled but now think I might be able to pick this up cheaper down the road since it now seems that it won't be the next grail from HT like so many thought.

I figured this much would happen.
It might be a bad thing for Hot Toys, but I'm sure Kane will skyrocket on the secondary market.

When Hicks 1st came out, I felt the same way towards it, but look what happened!
I'm not happy about it, but I'm still getting Kane in the hopes that a commissioned headsculpt will make it highly sought after and also into the "New Hicks".

People that are passing because of the headsculpt are going to be PISSED when they have to pay more later.

Think about it before you pass.

Just wait till people start posting pics of Kane with his arms reaching for his helmet and that facehugger sculpt on.

after much thought i decided to cancel Kane, the main reason was that when i saw the review LordMasterPrince gave on Dallas i was pretty impressed, and just did'nt have the same reaction with Kane. it really is a shame, but theres something about it....i dont know, maybe later on i will get it, but to spend 150some bucks on a fig, it damn better be worth it.

That's pretty much the point I'm trying to make in the 'Ask Sideshow' thread. I'm lucky enough to own all the marines and lucky enough to be able to paint and customize figures fairly well. But when those came out they were also $80 each, now they are almost double that. I'm a huge Alien/s fan and don't intend to cancel my order, as I'll pick up a headsculpt from somewhere, but the whole cloak and dagger stuff from HT/Sideshow, given the amount figures now cost (plus factor in the money for a replacement headsculpt, repaint etc) it is just a little annoying. Not everyone has the skill or finances to spend the extra to make a decent figure. :(

The face-hugged head is horrible. Didn't they also rip it off the palisades bust?

I'm actually surprised a lot of you are reacting this way and cancelling the figure over the headsculpt. :duh

This is NOTHING new from Hot Toys...the whole original Colonial Marines line couldn't get the actors' likenesses. And the way they've shown photos have already straight hinted to us that the headsculpts would be an issue with the licensor (we've all talked about it for months before).

We're seeing them struggle now over the PREDATOR figures as well...so what can we all expect hmmm?

I'm sure some of you are all going to regret, but oh well.... :monkey1

The face-hugged head is horrible. Didn't they also rip it off the palisades bust?

No, the facehugged head is different from Palisades'. The shape of the joints on the body is different and the details are softer on HT's. The HT one needs a repaint BADLY !!! :mad:

24310-2.jpg

Back