Bones and Booth set - 1/6 David Boreanaz/Emily Deschanel headsculpts by Chris Howes

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

rockdolly

Freaked Out
Reaction score
I always loved David Boreanaz work on Buffy/Angel, and I like even more him as Booth on Bones. And Emily Deschanel as Bones makes a perfect partner to him, remembering the good old times of Mulder and Scully. So, I thought that would be a good idea to take a shot and see if there is other people like me around who loves this duo.

I've spoken to Chris Howes, a AMAZING sculptor, and, if made, these heads will come after he gets through most of the current active commissions.
As usual we need at least ten people on board for this to happen.
dbb3yx8.jpg

Head Details:
Booth
The head should be made for the Hot Toys body. It will be a David Boreanaz as Booth, from Bones, version. While Chris uses as many reference photos as he can get to base his sculpts on, the photos above and at the bottom are the two I'll ask him to use as his primary guide (maybe not for the hair). I'm open to discuss his looks later (inputs are welcome), but I think a lighter, not to serious expression fits better with the character. Not too smiling, just a bit. But a more neutral expression works too, if requested by the majority.

If there is enough interest, Chris told me that he could think about making a Angel version too, later. But starts with Booth (that can pass as Angel too, since is the same actor and the characters visuals aren't that different).

Bones:
The heads should be molded to fit the Cy Girl style neckpost (i.e. no neck) as the vast majority of female action figures use this type of neck (Cy Girl, BBi Perfect Body, Aoshima, Soldier Story, Triad, etc). Please be aware that the conical style of the Cy Girl headpost was originally intended to be used for vinyl heads, and may require an adhesive such as Blue-tack to help keep the head on your figure.

Her expression, like Booth's, will be also lighter, not too serious. Unless anybody prefer another expression. Based on the photo above (mostly) too.

Prices:
$35.00 plus shipping per head for 10 people. If we get 15 to commit, the price drops to $20.00 for his standard precasting discount.

It returns to $35.00 after casting begins. To get the presale discount, payment must be sent before actual casting begins. Chris will announce when the presale period is closed.

Shipping Cost of $5.00 within the USA. $7.00 international.

Painting:
Like on Howes' other projects, Kuato will offer a discounted price of only $30.00 plus shipping per head for the FIRST 10 paint orders. After the first 10 orders, his regular price of $45.00 plus shipping per head comes back into effect. I'll keep a list of in what order people ordered a paint job so if people drop out the list will move up and whoever was next in line in the full price zone will be bumped up to the Special Discount Zone.

If you buy a painted version, you don't have to pay twice for shipping. Chris will send them in a large batch to Kuato for painting, and you need only pay Kuato for his paint work and final shipping to you.

Payment:
Paypal is the preferred payment method, but both Chris Howes and Kuato are willing to accept payment via Money Order if you do not use Paypal.
Further payment details will be put up when Chris and Kuato say so.

How to get on board:
Please send me a PM or post a reply (PM is preferred) that indicates how many, if painted and then I’ll add you to the list below.

Chris Howes' website:
https://www.chowes.com/

Chris Howes' custom sculpts on SSF:
https://sideshowcollectors.com/forums/showthread.php?t=34120&highlight=robert+downey

https://sideshowcollectors.com/forums/showthread.php?t=37796

Kuato's references:
https://sideshowcollectors.com/forums/showthread.php?t=30170

List:

dbb2ga7.jpg

Interested in David Boreanaz/Booth:
1. rockdolly
2. Gregorbian (OSW)
3. trenttspol
4. HL2 Master (maybe)
5. Murderofcrows71 (maybe)
6. sueworld (maybe)
7. samueljd (maybe)
8. 16k (if Bones get made also)
9. lurpdog101 (OSW)

dbb5qj9.jpg

Interested in Emily Deschanel/Bones:
1. rockdolly
2. Gregorbian (OSW)
3. trenttspol
4. Murderofcrows71 (maybe)
5. 16k (if Booth get made also)
6. lurpdog101 (OSW)
7. ifrack

Painted by Kuato:
1. rockdolly
2. trenttspol
3. lurpdog101 (OSW)
4. ifrack

Last edited:
Wow! Count me in!!!
I want one of each, both painted.
Thanks!

Um, has Chris Howes actually finished any of these multiple commissions?

Seems a little fishy to me.

How's that fishy? He's repeatedly said that he will not be able to do any new commissions until the old ones are done and that payments should be held until he's ready.:monkey1

Well then, feel free not to participate.

I'm a professional toy sculptor with a long history in the business. As most people who are participating are aware, I've got a number of projects underway. Underway means currently in development. As in currently working on... This is also crunch time in the Toy world. I'm doing all nighters to get prototype models ready so we can get product on a container ship before the Chinese New Year when the factories close down for 2 weeks. Lots going on at the same time. I've made it quite clear that things will be clustering over the next few weeks as I get commercial clients out of the way. Then there will be a second round for the more recent commission requests starting in January. To do things right and provide the high level of quality people expect from me takes time. And I understand that some other custom sculptors take a lot more time than I do.

I've only just entered the custom world a few months ago, so my collection of custom heads is not yet huge, but what is done is first rate quality. I will allow nothing sub par to leave my workbench. Don't take my word for it, ask around. And lots of people, based on the quality they've seen from me, are excited to get their particular project sculpted by me. And I'm excited to help them! I love this stuff and I truly appreciate the faith they have in my work. It's extremely gratifying and I don't take any of it for granted. I work very hard for my customers and friends.

To answer you question directly, yes. Ask my customers who have heads I've sculpted and see if they think anything is "fishy".

Sorry If I sound cranky, but I've been up for about 20 hours...... sculpting.

Though I did have a McDonald's Filet-O-Fish sandwich last night.:D

Last edited:

He finished a custom Summer Glau bald already... and looks great!
There... an example. Since he started to do custom comissions just a little while, I don't see how you would expect him to have completed most comissions... takes time and he is not denying that. And he is also not taking money for those yet, so how can this be "fishy"? There is no reason to doubt him.

Don't mean any offense. Just seems like you are taking on a lot of work lately. We've seen wonderful artists take on more work then they can handle and suddenly disappear before with everyone's money.

As long as you aren't taking payments before the work is shipping then everything is OK and nothing is "fishy".

So... think this thread has the record for the most times the word "fishy" has come up?

Don't mean any offense. Just seems like you are taking on a lot of work lately. We've seen wonderful artists take on more work then they can handle and suddenly disappear before with everyone's money.

As long as you aren't taking payments before the work is shipping then everything is OK and nothing is "fishy".

So... think this thread has the record for the most times the word "fishy" has come up?

Well, there's at least one board member who lives here in Cincinnati who can hunt me down if I disappear. Plus about 100 people who have my return address on the packages I sent them. So I think your safe. I'm too old to run very fast.

And yes, I do accept payment for heads before they ship. That's when I offer my precast discount. It's what helps get them made in the first place. My time is valuable and I could spend it all on commercial clients who actually pay better. But I WANT to do this stuff. It's fun and fulfilling and gets heads made that would never get made otherwise.

And you have to admit, you won't ever find a better price on product of this quality than my discount. I offered it on my Jokers and Bruce Wayne for example, and I actually feel guilty charging full price for them now after the discount period is over. But at least 90% of the folks who ordered got the discount and that makes me happy. And that was a lot of people... heck, Kuato is still painting Jokers!

ANd I didn't mention fish once..... Damn.

How's this for fishy?
Fish-Man3.jpg

Well I might be up for just a DB head. I'm not a Bones fan myself, but mainly a fan of David.

Thing is as with all commissions I wouldn't be able to fully commit until I saw what the final sculpt would look like. Yes, I know thats not going to work as you need folks to commit before hand, but with the pound dropping against the dollar as it has been I have to be very sure of what I'm purchasing these days, sadly.

I love the work you've done so far Chris on other heads, but I always like to approach these sort of things slightly wary until I see the sculpt either in the rough, or later stages.

Well I might be up for just a DB head. I'm not a Bones fan myself, but mainly a fan of David.

Thing is as with all commissions I wouldn't be able to fully commit until I saw what the final sculpt would look like. Yes, I know thats not going to work as you need folks to commit before hand, but with the pound dropping against the dollar as it has been I have to be very sure of what I'm purchasing these days, sadly.

I love the work you've done so far Chris on other heads, but I always like to approach these sort of things slightly wary until I see the sculpt either in the rough, or later stages.

True, I haven't been interested in the commission for "Bones", but a DB sculpt would be great for Angel. I never liked the Sideshow versions very well.

Well... Chris usually release progress pictures before the pre-sale period is closed. Maybe you change your mind then :naughty
Until then I can add your name to the list for DB as "maybe" if you want it.

True, I haven't been interested in the commission for "Bones", but a DB sculpt would be great for Angel. I never liked the Sideshow versions very well.

So do you want me to add your namte to the DB list?

Not a big fan os SS headsculpt either. Wrong hair and too much tan for a vampire.

Well tentatively you can count me in for a DB that I can use as another Angel variant. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back