Cathode Saber Tutorial: Warning lots of pics!

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

katkuru

Super Freak
Reaction score
Part 1

Had some questions as to how these are done. I'm no expert but this is how I do mine. They are not that difficult to do, but are very fragile so be careful. You will also need to know how to solder.

First off I use the 6" cold cathode tubes. I get mine from my local Cheackers Auto store, they are called Optix 6" ultra mini neon, from StreetGlow. They are a bit pricey at $28.00 USD.
They come with the inverter, AC power supply will have to be purchase from your local electronics store. You need to use a 110vac to a 12v DC power supply.
As far as the power supply you might be surprised to find one around the house. Look for one that has a 12 volt DC output. Or you can find them at radio shack or any electronics store.

These are the 3 main things you'll need. So lets get started.
DSC06995.jpg

DSC07016-1.jpg

One of the most difficult parts of this project is getting the cathode out of the protective tube.
DSC06995.jpg

No sweat. Use a mini pipe cutter, you can find them in any hardware store.
DSC06996.jpg

I found this is the safest and easiest way of removing the cathode from the tube with out breaking both the tube and cathode. Just simply attach it, snug it up and start rotating it. Keep tightening and rotating the clamp till it cuts right through.
DSC06999.jpg

DSC07000.jpg

Now simply and gently pull the cathode out. This is what it looks like.
DSC07006.jpg

Cut the heat shrink at the base of the cathode to expose the wires. The wires that come with it are two big to fit within the sabe hilts so you need to remove them and replace with a smaller wire, which you can get at the electronics store. Like so. Keep in mind the polarity, positive will connect to the cathode tube base and negative to the mini bare wire.
DSC07008.jpg

I also use shrink tubing to separate the bare wires. Should look something like this. If you've made it this far half the battle is over!
DSC07013.jpg

For the saber hilts I like the Sideshow ones. I dont like to use the originals so I like to cast them in resin. Once you have your resin copy you need to drill out the middle of the hilt and also a little hole on the side you want your wires to come out.
Be careful here it is very easy to drill it crooked, thats why I make copies and not screw up on the originals. Use a drill bit that is just bigger than the cathode itself. Should look something like this.
DSC06997.jpg

Last edited:
Part 2

Now just feed your wires through. Center up the cathode within the saber hilt and glue it! Once you've set the cathode in place you can solder the female plug that we cut off earlier on to the ends of the wire.
DSC07011.jpg

Now the fun part. Connect the inverter wires, the white ones to your saber. Now connect the red and black from the other end of the inverter to your power supply. Now plug it into an outlet. With a snap hiss it will spring to life!
DSC07016.jpg

DSC07018.jpg

DSC07040.jpg

As you can see the wires are easily concealed within the clothing. As for the inverter I plan on hiding it within a base for the figure. Or if your lazy like me I just hide it off to the side in my display case. You can also get super fancy with this and go wire less but that is for another tutorial.
Hope this was helpful, Enjoy!
DSC07024.jpg

DSC07034.jpg

Very cool. Thanks for posting! Next is the wireless tutorial with power supply and inverter inside the figure. ;) :duff

Great tutorial! Quick warning though: I placed a small order of a couple of CC tubes from VibeLights in Sept 2008. I still have not received them, and they still do not respond to email or written correspondance. I recommend using a different supplier.

I placed a small order of a couple of CC tubes from VibeLights in Sept 2008. I still have not received them, and they still do not respond to email or written correspondance. I recommend using a different supplier.

Interesting, I have not had any problems with them yet, but I've only ordered from them twice. I just put another order in will see how it goes. Thanks for the heads up.

Thanks for the tutorial!

I'm gonna give this a try myself. Are there any limitations to how many you can hook to one transformer?

Thanks for the tutorial!

I'm gonna give this a try myself. Are there any limitations to how many you can hook to one transformer?

That I dont know. I've only used the inverters that can power two sabers at once on one transformer with no problems.

Thanks for the tutorial!

Yep I think so, I can see the cogs turning in you head the way mine did when I started fiddling with these, atm Ive 4 and a half figures converted (one half of mauls blades isnt working)

I intend to do the majority of my figures thats 19 blades (4 on Grievous who Ive yet to work out the logistics of hiding wires and 3 on my Plo Kloon Excl), and I want them lit from the flick of 1 switch.

My electrician friend says that once I know the amout of blades that are going to be on the circuit he can advise on the correct transformer, Im hoping that there wont be issues with weaker blades furthest away from the transformer etc, plus I dont really want Xmas lights (ie one bulb goes none of them work)

Theres alot to think about :)

Thanks for the tutorial!

I have used the same lights for my Aliens corridor dio (3) and Watchmen sign (2) and so I got 5 of them lights hooked up to my power supply and never had a problem.

Awesome tutorial katkuru! I have some of these lights left, might have to give it a try too.

Last edited:
For the 12v AC adapter, what did you attach to the end of the wire so it can plug into the female adapter of the inverter?

Yep I think so, I can see the cogs turning in you head the way mine did when I started fiddling with these, atm Ive 4 and a half figures converted (one half of mauls blades isnt working)

I intend to do the majority of my figures thats 19 blades (4 on Grievous who Ive yet to work out the logistics of hiding wires and 3 on my Plo Kloon Excl), and I want them lit from the flick of 1 switch.

My electrician friend says that once I know the amout of blades that are going to be on the circuit he can advise on the correct transformer, Im hoping that there wont be issues with weaker blades furthest away from the transformer etc, plus I dont really want Xmas lights (ie one bulb goes none of them work)

Theres alot to think about :)

Yup....one switch that's it totally. :lol

one observation, i used these very same tubes when i started and they are way fragile....:eek:

didn't you start with LEDs, then EL wire, then various neons?

I was combing through old custom threads the other day and saw the evolution. Stunning stuff.

Back