seamless rubber arm/leg skins

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Been considering how we can get an accurate color reference for Aayla Secura skin to match her headpaint etc.

Found a form for the Pantone Color chart which will be delivered FREE to U.S. Residents (takes a few weeks to be delivered) so would appreciate "Sovereign Studios" filling out the form and also a few freaks in the USA with Aayla Secura in hand. A few freaks so that we can get a few opinions on what the best pantone color reference would be.

If you do fill out the form and order the chart can you post to let others know thx !

Last edited:
I've also been thinking about it, Mooncat. I think I have a much more simplified solution. I live a near a huge hardware store we have here in the US, with literally hundreds of of shades of paint available. They have samples of every single color on paper cards, each color has a name. I can go and pull 2 copies of every shade of blue and send you a set of cards. Then you can just match it and tell me the name of the color. PM me your address, I'll be out in that area tonight anyway and can pick the cards up then. Don't mean to insult your intelligence by explaining the card thing, I just wasn't sure if they use those in the UK.

Also, to anyone who has a Hellboy and would like to participate, I would really like to do the same to match the red. All I would need is your mailing address for the cards.

Shaun , I will stick the payment in for the arms in a day or two and send you an email confirming everything. Sorry for the delay , my paypal account doesn't like my bank account. :lol

OK, I've ended up with THREE variations of the arms :lol I've got the "regular guy" arms from the last photos. I've got the originals, sans veins in the biceps. I've got a thicker pair, too. Latex shrinks a bit as it cures, add that to the fact the layers of rubber are building up inside the arm and you end up stretching the shape out of original sculpt. I repeatedly dipped the urethane masters in Plasti Dip to build them up thicker to compensate for the afore mentioned factors to retain the nice, curvy shape of the sculpt. They're not monsterously huge, but they do appear more "muscular" because the sculpt isn't being stretched flat over the arm. I also figured out how to get them truly seamless, too; just turn the suckers inside out :lol

I've also been thinking about it, Mooncat. I think I have a much more simplified solution. I live a near a huge hardware store we have here in the US, with literally hundreds of of shades of paint available. They have samples of every single color on paper cards, each color has a name. I can go and pull 2 copies of every shade of blue and send you a set of cards. Then you can just match it and tell me the name of the color. PM me your address, I'll be out in that area tonight anyway and can pick the cards up then. Don't mean to insult your intelligence by explaining the card thing, I just wasn't sure if they use those in the UK.

Also, to anyone who has a Hellboy and would like to participate, I would really like to do the same to match the red. All I would need is your mailing address for the cards.
I can do Aayla and Hellboy both. You have my addy, or would you like me to get it to you again?

OK, I've ended up with THREE variations of the arms :lol I've got the "regular guy" arms from the last photos. I've got the originals, sans veins in the biceps. I've got a thicker pair, too. Latex shrinks a bit as it cures, add that to the fact the layers of rubber are building up inside the arm and you end up stretching the shape out of original sculpt. I repeatedly dipped the urethane masters in Plasti Dip to build them up thicker to compensate for the afore mentioned factors to retain the nice, curvy shape of the sculpt. They're not monsterously huge, but they do appear more "muscular" because the sculpt isn't being stretched flat over the arm. I also figured out how to get them truly seamless, too; just turn the suckers inside out :lol

Sounds good mate! Could you post some pictures of the final three variations?

New pics coming soon, guys. Got more rubber on its way now.

Thanks, metaphorge but mooncat has already taken up the task.

Just to be clear, Shawn, so I can find the most suitable paint: these are made of latex, not silicone?

Smooth-On sells paints made especially for silicone. I'm going to find out whether it would work with latex better than acrylic or ground pastel (for detailing).

Shawn, have you considered other body types for your skin jobs?

I have in mind a chubbier body with arms to make a custom German Mechanic from RAIDERS. What do you think? Possible?

bump and question

Shawn ? if I may call you that :) How 'practically' thin can we go with the rubber ? Do you do a clay sculpt over a body then cut the sculpt away and create a mould of the re-pieced together sculpt ? do you put the base body back into the centre of the mould somehow ? How would / could this work for a full body sculpt ? how would a full body rubber cast go back together were would it be seamed ?

Just thinking in the future with Ooola and a good base body to sculpt over ?

Or is it more hands on a bit of educated guessing and trial and error with moulds and casts ?

Last edited:
just a bump to the top and to see if you have any word on the pics yet Shawn?

Look for a new thread and a lot of pics really soon, Lee! Hang in there, I want this just right. It damn well needs to be, as long as I've worked my butt off to get it to work right! :lol

OK, "skins" pics..... Here are the two arm types. I think I originally said three, but the by the time I toned down the veins the difference was was very little. On your left, the larger size. Not a lot of definition, just a meatier arm. On the right, the "regular" guy arms. The regular version is probably what you're going to want for 99% of applications. The other style would be good for Terminators. The legs are standard. They're pretty meaty, unless you put them on a Buck body, I guess.

Also: MONCAT, sent those color samples, finally.

The skins will be shipping soon. I'm learning the hard way you need to let them sit for a few days and cure COMPLETELY before you turn them inside out, or you get big ugly wrinkles in them due to the latex being a bit soft.

arms1.jpg

arms2.jpg

Shawn,

Any chance of one to match the Kurgan body colour ? Or does your existing one match. The joints and that figure have always annoyed me but I think your muscular arm might do the trick

Back