Official 12" Hot Toys Superman returns Image Thread!

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
pjam said:
It's unfortunate SR has suffered from two problems, actually three.

1) It is tainted with the "gay thing" kiss of death
2) Horrible Studio marketing campaign
3) Not enough action

I think another thing that hurt the movie was having Luthor as the villain. He had already appeared as a villain in three of the four Reeve movies, and even though I really liked the movie, that character and his scheme did kinda feel old hat.

pjam said:
I wouldn't bet on anything right now, especially if I was Brian Singer. His Comicon "announcement" ploy may backfire. Warners won't make any decisions on this property for some time but if I was running the studio I would do whatever necessary to ensure any sequel is properly handled.

3) Not enough action

Hard core male action fans are pretty pissed off right now and even though Singer stated he wanted to "Wrath of Khan" any Superman sequel I think it's too late for him and his baggage of writers and even Score Composer he brought in was sub par. WB is still reeling from the Schumacher "drag show" cratering of the Batman franchise and don't want to take any more risks (even though I loved SR) his sensibilities may not be right for any sequel.

No, WB will wait till after it plays out, after the DVD is released and although it will surpass 500 Million Worldwide WB can't be happy with the ROI...

I think they will hire some serious big time writer like Steve Zallian, go back to the comic book stories as Puzo did, find a super villain and new storyline, crank up the action for any sequel with little or no Donneresque references and with Spacey and Singer out, it will be completely different and refreshing.

Also note WB has Donner putting out his Director's cut for Superman 2 and including it with a new DVD package of the sequels. Warners will be watching these DVD sales very closely. I know some of the Execs @ WB and and have worked with some of the highest ranking ones and I can tell you Dick Donner is WB DNA, he is family. I wouldn't be surprised at all if one of WB's options is to have Donner actually direct a non-Donner sequel and maybe this next one. He is still a Master and WB trusts him to no end, it might actually work IMO.

Also WB is very happy with the Nolan Goyer team and won't stray from the success and tone of BB, so I don't see any teaming up of our superheroes.

Batty and I exchanged thoughts on this and wouldn't it be nice to see one of them save the other in a cameo scene. They will never be rivals though..

Very interesting points.

I think it would be very cool, and smart, to give "Superman Returns Again" to Donner. Let him energize it and ramp up the action. Maybe he could do for Superman what Cameron did for Alien.

And they definitely need a new villain other than ol' Lex. I'd like to see General Zod and his gang revamped.

TheObsoleteMan said:
I think another thing that hurt the movie was having Luthor as the villain. He had already appeared as a villain in three of the four Reeve movies, and even though I really liked the movie, that character and his scheme did kinda feel old hat.

I agree OM, it was lazy writing leaning so heavily on all the plot points and characters from the original. What made the original original was Puzo spending weeks with Superman Comic book historians, poring through libraries and coming up with something new. Puzo did his homework, these singer kids just fleshed out Brian's take on it, that was totally on Singer...

like I said with a sequel they should ..

"find a super villain and new storyline, crank up the action for any sequel with little or no Donneresque references and with Spacey and Singer out, it will be completely different and refreshing."

Darth Boots said:
Here are some very poor pics, but you get the idea :chew

Nice pics Boots! Too bad the Superman stand doesn't raise up far enough to really give that flying feeling.

gdb said:
Nice pics Boots! Too bad the Superman stand doesn't raise up far enough to really give that flying feeling.

Yeah, tell me about it. I figure at least it looks like he's off the ground and it will entertain friends and stuff that see him :lol

pjam said:

3) Not enough action

the 'gay thing' as you call it, is only an issue with idiot teenage bigoted american caveman fanboys. And they created it in the first place. They have no place commenting on anything if you ask me.

Horrible studio ad campaign, really? That must be an america thing, because over here in the UK EVERYBODY knew about the film and i thought it was marketed just about right. If that's the case over there then that IS a shame, so you may be right on that one.

Not enough action? This film has more action than the original films! The difference here is that this one is supplemented witha good dose of emotional content and performance. (although I know that's not what those teenage fanboys want to see)

Pretty much everyone we've spoken to over here thought the film was perfectly crafted, beautiful to watch, had way more emotion than the first 4 put together (bear in mind that i LOVE the original films), and was just a joy to watch.

The only problem (over here at least I dont know about your release dates) it came out at the same time as Pirates. And all the kids (little kids I mean) wanted to see Pirates. So therefore their parents went with them. (I know this because we actually saw both Pirates AND Superman Returns in one day... and pirates was FULL of kids, with parents. While Superman had about a tenth the amount of kids in it (but relatively more people my age - 34)

Now for us that's not an issue, we'll see multiple films in one month, or one week... or as we sometimes do in one day! lol ... but a lot of people only go to see one thing a month, so I think over here that affected it slightly. Although it's still popular and as far as I remember was/is second in the charts, only behid pirates. Both of which are light years ahead of anything else in the weekly takings

hunky_artist said:
the 'gay thing' as you call it, is only an issue with idiot teenage bigoted american caveman fanboys. And they created it in the first place. They have no place commenting on anything if you ask me.

Horrible studio ad campaign, really? That must be an america thing, because over here in the UK EVERYBODY knew about the film and i thought it was marketed just about right. If that's the case over there then that IS a shame, so you may be right on that one.

Not enough action? This film has more action than the original films! The difference here is that this one is supplemented witha good dose of emotional content and performance. (although I know that's not what those teenage fanboys want to see)

Pretty much everyone we've spoken to over here thought the film was perfectly crafted, beautiful to watch, had way more emotion than the first 4 put together (bear in mind that i LOVE the original films), and was just a joy to watch.

The only problem (over here at least I dont know about your release dates) it came out at the same time as Pirates. And all the kids (little kids I mean) wanted to see Pirates. So therefore their parents went with them. (I know this because we actually saw both Pirates AND Superman Returns in one day... and pirates was FULL of kids, with parents. While Superman had about a tenth the amount of kids in it (but relatively more people my age - 34)

Now for us that's not an issue, we'll see multiple films in one month, or one week... or as we sometimes do in one day! lol ... but a lot of people only go to see one thing a month, so I think over here that affected it slightly. Although it's still popular and as far as I remember was/is second in the charts, only behid pirates. Both of which are light years ahead of anything else in the weekly takings

Exactly....

I love this movie more and more with each viewing. I just took my sister to see it last weekend (she's a huge Lois and Clark fan) and she loved it, Hell, she nearly cried in a few scenes.

I think that it will thrive and people will regret not seeing it when it arrives on DVD. :cool:

DarkArtist81 said:
I love this movie more and more with each viewing. I just took my sister to see it last weekend (she's a huge Lois and Clark fan) and she loved it, Hell, she nearly cried in a few scenes.

I think that it will thrive and people will regret not seeing it when it arrives on DVD. :cool:

I agree with you on all points.

The only thing the film was noticably missing, and I wouldn't say it was needed by any stretch (but might have helped capture the easily impressed Pirates crowed), was a battle royal type fight between Superman and a being just as powerful ala Matrix 2 & 3 when Neo squared off with the Smiths.

Why are the image threads for Batman and Superman being derailed? Take the conversations to the other threads. Thanks.

Batty said:
Why are the image threads for Batman and Superman being derailed? Take the conversations to the other threads. Thanks.

Yeah, I agree Batty, sorry, just wanted to answer Wor-Gar's question and went freestyle now that things are winding down here. Much of this was discussed on the Movie comments thread...

Here's to getting back on track, another pic from the RS site

196055907_5795ced07e.jpg

gdb said:
I agree with you on all points.

The only thing the film was noticably missing, and I wouldn't say it was needed by any stretch (but might have helped capture the easily impressed Pirates crowed), was a battle royal type fight between Superman and a being just as powerful ala Matrix 2 & 3 when Neo squared off with the Smiths.

True.... I would love to see him duke it out with Bizarro or someone of equal strength, really get the blood flowing in the crowd!!! :D

Nice picture btw.... the light does wonderful things for the costume!

There's no rigid enforcement of thread topic here. Personally I think that's why some people come to this board.

I agree that SR was derailed by Pirates and while I enjoyed the film, I would have desperately preferred something not as close to the '70s films.

But the HT Supes rocks - now if only HT could do a Reeve figure...
supe-2-sm.jpg

Back