THING PF ARRIVING IN 5-7 DAYS for USA

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I say I would never cancel, but I did cancell it...THE DIFFERENCE FROM THE PROTO IS REALLY ALARMING.Not worth 600$ (with Shipping & custom) IMO.

Dang, what is UP with Sideshow and its factories? I blame both because its just as easily some executives making decisions to cut costs on production and usually those costs can cause quality to suffer (i.e.: deciding not to paint an area). At least they TRIED to paint Stealth Iron Man's black creases.

They're so hit-and-miss nowadays with their paint jobs.

by the look from the pic, i'd say im pretty upset. shell'd out a llot of money for this and it looks cheap :monkey2 i'm gonna have to paint those cracks with black.

thingsowndressing.jpg

:lol:lol:lol

by the look from the pic, i'd say im pretty upset. shell'd out a llot of money for this and it looks cheap :monkey2 i'm gonna have to paint those cracks with black.
yeah, but THAT's exactly the problem here: the cracks are supposed to be a undercoat/grounding! while painting: first the cracks, then the orange. I hope it works the other way around...

I couldn't view the pictures from work but now that I have seen them I don't think it is the disaster that everyone is jumping to.

First, all the pictures appear to be taken with a flash the way it looks. I would like to see some more natural lighting pictures without a flash to get an accurate look at the color of the paint job. I think the flash is accentuating both the color and "shine" of the statue. Using the flash has never helped a statue look better but it almost always makes them look worse.

Second, while the black lines painted between the rocks on the proto make the separate pieces stand out more and might be more comic like, a darker colored burnt orange wash in between the rocks would be more lifelike with the shadows adding to the darkness between the rocks (both the Bowen and Hard Hero statues use this technique). It doesn't excuse the shoddy paint work not covering up the sculpt properly though

I can see how the paint differences from the proto to the production piece can turn some people off completely though.

Last edited:
A lot of people have this piece ordered in standard so I'm planning on waiting it out and seeing some pics from various collectors but from what I'm seeing Flash pictures still wouldn't attribute the large difference in feel to the figure from proto to production. Everyone expects the quality to fall slightly from Proto but the missing pieces make the piece lose it punch. Like I said I'm waiting but if they don't really sway me immediately I'll cancel THING and wait for the next big Marvel piece...

Don't the close up pics show darker coloration in the cracks of his body? Its not black but it is darker than the rest of the body, or thats how it looks anyways...:confused:

My very quick experiment on flash photography on my other Thing statues to show how it throws off the colors and shadow detail.

The room lighting is the same in all pictures and the only difference is the flash from the camera.

p1000841yk5.jpg

p1000842yf8.jpg

p1000835ph9.jpg

p1000836jb3.jpg

p1000837hp9.jpg

p1000838bv3.jpg

Based on these I hope people don't jump the gun and completely over react based on the previous pictures of the PF taken with a flash.

Last edited:
I think it looks fine....you guys are all on crack. I'm keeping mine. :monkey1

...but seriously, I can see the cause for alarm...I would rather see some better pics berfore I go ape++++. The stain is very funny tho. :rotfl

Definitely a difference between that and this:

7209_press01-001.jpg

The absence of the black lines really do downgrade this piece....Wondering if I should keep it as well...

One is also a photo of a professionally lit piece in a studio while the other is taken with a flash in completely different lighting. I have seen people over react many times on boards due to poor pictures. I am willing to get more/better pictures to come to a conclusion.

Last edited:
Your pictures of the different thing statues didn't really help. The look pretty similar in the natural light and with the flash. Furthermore, the guy who has received the Sideshow Thing said that is what it looks like in person. Flash can do a lot but not as much damage as you are trying to convince people of.

I don't blame people for reacting a certain way and canceling. It's better than wasting $400 on something you will end up not liking.

Your pictures of the different thing statues didn't really help. The look pretty similar in the natural light and with the flash. Furthermore, the guy who has received the Sideshow Thing said that is what it looks like in person. Flash can do a lot but not as much damage as you are trying to convince people of.

I don't blame people for reacting a certain way and canceling. It's better than wasting $400 on something you will end up not liking.

As I said they were very quick and didn't capture the shadow detail in the crevices like I wanted. I can notice the differences in the color and shadowing but until there are some good natural lighting pictures of the PF I remain calm, cool and collected.

OK, now I just saw nightcreeper's photos. Don't like the look of it at all. I understand the flash vs. no-flash does make some difference in how it would look in person, but nightcreepers photos clearly show that the spaces between the rock plates aren't even painted in some areas, and definately not painted black like I was expecting from initial photos. If I don't see any better looking photos before the exclusive ships, I'll be cancelling soon. I expected close to perfection like with most of the other Marvel PF's, and this looks rushed and half-assed. :monkey2:monkey2

Keep it up SS and you make it easier to keep a savings account. :monkey2

Sorry, but this sort of pisses me off. I was REALLY looking forward to this one.

Back