THING PF ARRIVING IN 5-7 DAYS for USA

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If you look at the SS pic...not all the cracks are painted black...that would look odd IMO if it were...from the pics we have seen from the forum member...the faded grey was applied throughout the statue without or very little areas that may need to be darker...a little added black here and there in several spots would fix it big time...

If you look at the SS pic...not all the cracks are painted black...that would look odd IMO if it were...from the pics we have seen from the forum member...the faded grey was applied throughout the statue without or very little areas that may need to be darker...a little added black here and there in several spots would fix it big time...

The faded grey that you refer to wasn't applied, it's the lack of application, that's the color of the base polystone.

As nightcreeper originally pointed out.

Here you can see the color of the ABS plastic or Polystone (whatever they used):
Colorofplastic.jpg

Again:
colorofplastic2.jpg

Again:
colorofplastic3.jpg

The whole reason this Thing was better than all the previous, and why it generated so much buzz initially was because of the black between his plates; none of the others did that, as we have seen from some photos already. Now, with this paint ap, there's nothing to make him any better than the rest.

These are SS stock pics. Maybe black isn't the correct term to be using here, just darker and more contrast.
72091_press07-001.jpg

7209_press08-001.jpg

7209_press06-001.jpg

Last edited:
Flash, no Flash. This Thing, That One. Bottom line is it doesn't pop like the proto did. Most who are on the fence have said over and over that they'll wait for more pics and those who canceled well....already did. We don't need a ton of reminders that home pics don't always turn out just more pics.

Well after seeing these pics I am really on the fence about my exclusive.

This piece doesn't have the *POP* that previous PFs like the Hulk and Captain America have.

The rocky surface gave the factory the excuse to do a rushed and sloppy paint-job that looks lackluster in person. Like Alice mentioned before, this piece really needed a base black (or dark orange) undercoat before the main colors. Because of the lack of that, you get a lot of completely unpainted spots which is understandable regarding that this is a production piece but ultimately is UNACCEPTABLE for the customers in my opinion. Especially at the price point this is at.

Considering that the polystone beneath feels rough and grainy...you can see exactly why the paint was not sticking properly to what was beneath it. Perhaps this is some other coat to give Thing a "rock-like" look...but it leaves a lot of gaps.

One can only wonder how Red Skull will turn out. :monkey1

I couldn't view the pictures from work but now that I have seen them I don't think it is the disaster that everyone is jumping to.

First, all the pictures appear to be taken with a flash the way it looks.

The way the Thing looks in the images with the flash is the way he looks in person. I repeat myself, once again you can distinctly see the cracks are not painted in person, and Thing looks all the same shade (like a cheap knock-off with unpainted portions). You can also distinctly see that grayish color in the cracks from only a few feet away.

Whether there is a image taken with a flash or no flash, the piece should look the way expected in either shot. Hell it should look the way it is expected in person, but it does not.

What are the odds that it was either cast in a black color or the base coat of paint is black with the layers of different shades of orange applied over the top? I know we have several painters on the board that can chime in but I believe that is a common paint technique to add depth to the textures.

The way the Thing looks in the images with the flash is the way he looks in person. I repeat myself, once again you can distinctly see the cracks are not painted in person, and Thing looks all the same shade (like a cheap knock-off with unpainted portions). You can also distinctly see that grayish color in the cracks from only a few feet away.

Whether there is a image taken with a flash or no flash, the piece should look the way expected in either shot. Hell it should look the way it is expected in person, but it does not.

Get rid of it. Use the cash for the Irom Man bust (assuming the Stealth Iron Man problem will not surface again).

WOW!!!

Mr.Grimm looks awful. :monkey2

The lack of paint between the plates plus the fact that the rock surface looks rather dull is upsetting.

I just somehow knew that SS would be able to get those paint ops right. :(

I'll wait for some more photos before I cancel but I won't be keeping my order if it's gonna look like that. :yuk

At least I got the Bowen Thing which is awesome!! :rock

I am wondering if it's worth keeping and commissioning one of our fine artists for a repaint.

If this is a widespread paint issue I will cancel & pick up a regular later at a big discount then maybe get a commission paint job

I am still holding out hope for better paint on the exclusive....maybe that's why it's taking longer to ship? They fixed it? :rolleyes:

I am wondering if it's worth keeping and commissioning one of our fine artists for a repaint.

I'm glad I canceled mine if this is a wide spread paint issue. Although, it would be really easy to fill in those cracks with black. All you have to do is create a wash with some black paint, and drop by drop from your brush, it will run through those cracks and do all the work for ya.

I'm glad I canceled mine if this is a wide spread paint issue. Although, it would be really easy to fill in those cracks with black. All you have to do is create a wash with some black paint, and drop by drop from your brush, it will run through those cracks and do all the work for ya.

Non-artist here.....create a wash?

Non-artist here.....create a wash?

Paint and a thinner (thinner depends on what type of paint you're using, be it acrylic or enamel), mix the two together, and you get a wash... aka, a thinned out paint. Makes it watery, and when you drop it in those cracks, it will run through em. A couple of those washes should make this piece look better. I've done tons of washes on stuff in the past, so it's pretty easy. DA and the other guys will know exactly what to do, so it might be worth keeping.

Back