SDCC stuff

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What do you guys reccomend for spending money? And no smart remarks like cash or credit, im looking for amounts.

Memnoch21 said:
What do you guys reccomend for spending money? And no smart remarks like cash or credit, im looking for amounts.

First off, definately bring cash. Hardly anyone accepts Credit Cards. Most exclusive figures I bought were $20 even. The food at the Con is expensive and of poor quality (Mrs. Fields cookies are good though). I recomend bringing a back pack and a snack lunch. If you do that, there should really be much to spend on besides exclusives or autographs, etc. There are usually many lists of exclusives a head of time and their prices to help you decide. I can't stress having enough cash though. Silly us thinking people would have time to charge a credit card :rotfl

As for a specific amount, I'm not really sure. I'd bring a least a couple hundred just in case.

Actually, most dealers are set up for credit cards now. Cash is good if you want sketches or food, or trying to bribe your way into the Battlestar Galactica line that has had people waiting for 8 hours.

Memnoch21 said:

if you are going for the whole time including the Wed. night preview night, and you like different types of figures like I do, for example imported anime stuff and / or Sideshow type of statues and figures, I would say about $700 - $800 is about right. That should includes food petty cash.

Memnoch21 said:

If you drink, and meet up with Danny, bring more!!! :D

It's hard to see the justification of trekking to SDCC when I live here in Atlanta and Dragon*Con is here, which is the biggest con we have in the southeast. I know they are two different beasts, but I think a con is a con. D*C also has panels, autograph sessions, dealers, artists, and a lot of great guests as well.

I dunno. I guess I don't see the reason to spend the extra $$ to go to another con when I can get the same amount of fun going to our local one.

Plus, there is also the issue of Celebration IV, which I am pondering about going.

There are Con's then there is SDCC. No contest.

Now as far as money. I only bring abour $400 bucks with me but that's because I mostly buy the exclusuives that you can PO. Between that and my lunches/dinners I usually end up coming home with like $100-150 bucks.

Money wise...I would definetely bring at least like $600-$700. Last year I spent at least $400 on merchandise there alone, then there is food/drinks/bars/etc. Two years ago I didn't buy anything and I spend $60 over the week, so depends on what you plan on buying. Most booths have credit card machines, so don't worry too much about that. But I would bring a certain amount of cash just to have, in that Just In Case Scenarios. Hope to actually see some of you freaks this year, didn't get a chance last year. I'll definetely drink that that..

congerking said:
Hope to actually see some of you freaks this year, didn't get a chance last year. I'll definetely drink that that..

See ya then in July CK.

Well, I'm gonna chime in here. I've been to SDCC every year since 1992 so I consider myself an old pro. As everyone else said... everyone MUST go to SDCC at least one time in their life. It's truly something that just must be experienced. I think back to my first year there and it is just laughable how much it has changed. That first year there might have been 20,000-25,000 people... now there is easily over 100,000 every year. (probably more than 20,000 there each day!)

Thursday and Friday used to be nice days there - not crowded etc. You could find tons of good deals on cool stuff. Now even preview night is jammed. Good deals on merchandise or rare "finds" are getting tough to come by. I buy less "stuff" every year and cocentrate now on seeing/getting things that can only be gotten there (i.e. sketches, exclusives etc.) There's simply just too many people!

As far as hotels... I would recommend the Hyatt - it's kind of SDCC central. The bar on the roof and in the lobby are great drinking spots I attend every year. Last year I partied with much of the Sideshow staff at these locations. But rooms are getting tougher to snag there. My advice is get something close to the convention center because you'll wanna walk back to your hotel and drop stuff off... change clothes... wash face etc - especially if you are staying for the entire time.

It's officially a mad house down there the entire time now. Saturday is jus ridiculous with people. It's suffocating. I'd say get there as early in the con as possible and get your badges so you don't get stuck waiting in line all day to get in.

Anyways... get your tix and reservations early! Hope to see you all there.

P.S. -As far as cash... bring at least $500-$1000 I'd say.

Memnoch21 said:
Soo think about $700 would cover me? Im trying to plan my summer working habits early.

$700 sounds about right. I bring around $800 every year for food, drink and merchandise and end up spending half or less. It really depends what is being offered in the merchandise department. I'm attending solo this year (no one else can go or they will be working at the con) so I'll either be staying with family near downtown San Diego or getting a single hotel room (which will bring my costs up a bit but I could swing it).

Can't wait! This will be my 6th consecutive year of attendence. :chew

I agree that you will spend less than you think on "stuff." All the good exclusives will have been paid for in advance for pickup, or they will take your credit card. Walking around the floor is fun, but frankly you are not going to find a better deal on elusive sold out items than you would on eBay. In fact, most of the things I was looking for were about the most expensive I had ever seen from the sellers at the show. I was ready to spend more than I did because I just didn't find anything I wanted that was being sold at a reasonable price. (But my collecing habits are narrowly focused and I am already pretty caught up with all the lines I am interested in.) So go for the experience but don't necessarily expect to spend an insane amount of money. Just make sure you have a lot for food and bottled water, etc. And if you plan on going into the exhibit hall on Saturday, bring some Febreze. And bring a digital camera with a good sized memory stick.

swabie2424 said:
That first year there might have been 20,000-25,000 people... now there is easily over 100,000 every year. (probably more than 20,000 there each day!)

It's officially a mad house down there the entire time now. Saturday is jus ridiculous with people. It's suffocating. I'd say get there as early in the con as possible and get your badges so you don't get stuck waiting in line all day to get in.

Anyways... get your tix and reservations early! Hope to see you all there.

P.S. -As far as cash... bring at least $500-$1000 I'd say.

I went on a Saturday last year.. NEVER again.. They reported WELL over 100k people there that day.. Even though I preregistered and got there early, I was still waiting in a line to get my badge that took over 2 hours.. By the time I got in I was exhausted from the wait/heat/smokers then suffocated by the crowd upon entry..

This year I am going on a Thursday, and snagged a room at the Marriot which couldnt be any closer to the con..

I would have to agree that it is a total mad house now. On Saturday last year it felt like you could hardly move. Wasnt like this even a few years ago. I never been big on Previews night as it just a big wait in line fest to only be on the floor for about an hour and half. It is worth the extra money to stay near the Con IMO but those rooms fill up fast. I have stayed at the Hyatt, the Marriot and the Omni. All are good places the Hyatt after an entire day at the con can seem like its a mile away even though it is only a few blocks. You can probably get away with 800 but expect to pay alot more in food and water than you think and don't eat the con food. Go a few blocks to buy your water too it will save you probably a dollar.

Back