SDCC stuff

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Any of you guys know about taxi service in SD? I was thinking about going to the zoo on the first day I get there, and we would rather not rent a car (also how old do you have to BE to rent a car? lol) I would much rather grab a taxi or something to the zoo and back, maybe even grab one to the convention center in the morning.

swabie2424 said:
Is there booze? Where were they held at?

Yes, there was.

Memnoch21 said:
Any of you guys know about taxi service in SD? I was thinking about going to the zoo on the first day I get there, and we would rather not rent a car (also how old do you have to BE to rent a car? lol) I would much rather grab a taxi or something to the zoo and back, maybe even grab one to the convention center in the morning.

There are Taxi's all over the place. If there isn't one outside of your hotel they will call one for you.

Stoked you should be. :D :D :D The SDCC is a ton of fun. You'd have to be a pretty big tool not to have some fun! :monkey5

The thing that cannot be conveyed is the enormity of it all. Just the showroom floor is beyond words. Factor in all the meeting rooms, the autograph areas etc etc and it is overwhelming.

My toughtst "get" of last year's SDCC was the Palpatine character key from ACME. I had to plot which door to race through to have a shot at him since he was limited to 500 total and like 75 per day. It was sold out immediately every morning - before the doors even opened you pretty much already had to be in line. I got one the last day I was there! Totally had to use every trick in the book, but I got one!

Well I already know that I got the Bugs Bunny figure from registration, and Ill be getting whatever SS has for Star Wars, and anything else to help out fellow Freaks. I am curious to see what else there is this year. What's the best way to get everything back across the country? I heard theres a UPS store in the convention center.. or am I wrong?

There is a mailing center (I think it's UPS) in the convention center. Always your best bet. No way will you be able to carry everything!

I think the only thing that will be going back on the plane with me is whatever SS Star Wars figure there is. I wish the exclusive list would start coming out already. This is going to be quite the 6 month wait.

swabie2424 said:
The thing that cannot be conveyed is the enormity of it all. Just the showroom floor is beyond words. Factor in all the meeting rooms, the autograph areas etc etc and it is overwhelming.

Man, this is so so so true. The first year I went I was blown away by the size of it all. I was in awe of the whole thing as was all of us who where there for the first time a couple years ago. It's insane.

Last year was my first year to SDCC, and it was the most fun I've had at any convention I've ever been to, and that includes SW Celebration in Indy and DragonCon in Atlanta, not to mention the countless toy shows and horror conventions I've attended over the years in the Midwest and out East. Needless to say I'm going back this year: everything is already booked. :D

If I buy a lot of stuff this year, I'm just going to mail it back home. I bought the MR exclusive Han Solo blaster last year and, not surprising, I ran into issues at the airport. :lol

swabie2424 said:
There is a mailing center (I think it's UPS) in the convention center. Always your best bet. No way will you be able to carry everything!

Yeah, you will have to mail some stuff back unless you have some huge bags. I did last year and my Dad went with and took a monster bag.

I think i may just take my laptop with my camera, dump the pictures every night onto it, then clear the memory for the next day. So much planning to go into this trip. Then theres the 7 hour travel time, but the longest Im in the air is about 4 1/2 hrs.

One last piece of advice... not that it is earth shattering. But whatever day you get there... get in line very, very, very early to pick up your badge. The regular convention line for picking up badges has been known to wrap around the building and go around the embarkadero!

The pro registration line was nice and simple last year. It took me no time at all. But the year before it was a mess. I missed the first hour because I was still standing in line. First time that had ever happened.

Memnoch21 said:
I think i may just take my laptop with my camera, dump the pictures every night onto it, then clear the memory for the next day. So much planning to go into this trip. Then theres the 7 hour travel time, but the longest Im in the air is about 4 1/2 hrs.

Thats what I do covering the show for Sandtroopers is go back to the hotel dump the pictures and send them for our coverage.

The line to get badges this year was nutty. I got mine free because I went as press but some of the other folks had to wait a decent bit to get their badges (paid attendees) where as my Dad did not. All about timing.

Memnoch21 said:
So what time are we talking about here? I definatly do not want to miss a minute.

To pick up your badge?

Early! Before 8am (the con opens at 10am IIRC) I would say (if you're showing up after preview night).
I always go down on preview night (I arrive around 3 or 4pm) and pick up my badge, there's never a big line or wait and I'm good to go till Sunday.

Memnoch21 said:
So what time are we talking about here? I definatly do not want to miss a minute.

Well, it depends on what time your flight gets in? Are you gonna be there Preview Night? If so you can get your badges then and not have to worry about anything the rest of the time. If you get their fairly early in the AM you should be fine as well or around Lunch.

Dang, I don't think I can go to Comic-Con this year, I would only know if I could go after the end of the semester and by that time it would be too late to reserve a hotel room and make arrangements, so I think I'm out. But maybe there is going to be a contest that I could win to go...well, at least it's an idea.

Flight arrives at 10 43 am on Tuesday the 24 and so yes I will be there for preview night. That Tuesday is for me to go to the zoo :lol

darthviper107 said:
Dang, I don't think I can go to Comic-Con this year, I would only know if I could go after the end of the semester and by that time it would be too late to reserve a hotel room and make arrangements, so I think I'm out. But maybe there is going to be a contest that I could win to go...well, at least it's an idea.

Why? Find a board memeber you can room with. It splits the cost and gives you the time you need.

I roomed with some family the first year I went and last year I roomed with Adam, Lonnie, and Mark a sculptor. It's a blast rooming with members gives you a chance to get to know them better.

Memnoch21 said:
Flight arrives at 10 43 am on Tuesday the 24 and so yes I will be there for preview night. That Tuesday is for me to go to the zoo :lol

Then you should have no problems getting in at all during the convention. Once you got that getting in is easy.

Back